We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any news of developments in Sabah? I am travelling to Sandakan in July as a volunteer in Sepilok and have got myself into an anxious state over it all!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

July is a long time away anything could happen/change by then... No point worrying now!!!

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

I know but that's just me all over!!! I've had this trip booked for 2 years!

Penisular Malaysia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

As of today the remaining of Philippine armed intruders are scattered around remote area of lahad batu being relentless hunted by the Malaysian armed forces. According to the Malaysian Authorities it will take few more days before the intruders are fully flushed out from Lahad Datu.

i think by July everything is back to normal

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Sandakan is few hundred miles away from Lahad Datu and not in the radar screen yet.

Put your worry aside.

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

We are in Sabah right now. We have driven from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan. Yes, the police are showing a presence a little but that's good to see. We have spent a week here and have had a absolutely fabulous time. We visited Turtle Island and could see Islands belonging to the Philippines but did not worry despite it being very remote. We are told by the tour guides here that a third of tourists have cancelled and that's tragic for them. For us it was good, it meant less crowded areas. We do admit we arrived not knowing the situation but have seen nothing at all to worry about. We can't promise it will always be so but the authorities here say they have the situation under control and the invaders are thinning out. After all. We could stay in London and get hurt?

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Thank you very much for your reply. I totally agree I live alone in London and manage to survive! I am volunteering at Sepilok in July and would happily travel out and take the risk but I think because it's a British based company they have to follow the FCO advice. I'm praying the ban is lifted by the time I go!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

We were just in Sepilok! Hope you get to go. Good luck!

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

Have fun! That's the thing it's still open to the public so it's not that unsafe! I hope the FCO realise soon.....

10. Re: Any developments on the standoff in Sabah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:17