We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

So I'm planning on arriving in Tawau in Mid August (18th?) and need to get to Kuala Lumpur by the 30th for a flight home. My girlfriend is dead keen on seeing some Orang-utans and at least a day in Brunei and we are on quite a tight budget. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

Since you are on budget.

This is workable.

Kuching-Brunei

(a)Kuching to see orange utan

(b)Kuching by 13 hour bus to brunei

or not so tiring (c)Kuching to Miri then to Brunei

Kuching to Miri by plane

www.airasia.com

malaysiahotelreview.com/sarawak/destination/…

Yes, there is. The company is called Biaramas and you don't have to book it online, you can buy ticket on spot. It costs RM 130 on Malaysian side, in Brunei it's probably more expensive. I recommend you to go to Sarawak first and only then to Brunei.

Since the ride will take you 13 hours on a humpy bumpy road called "Borneo Highway" - which actually has only a sinlge lane in each direction from Kuching to Brunei border, and then another 2 hours on a real highway to Bandar Seri Begawan, you might as well consider flying from Kuching to Miri and from Miri take a bus to Brunei (it costs RM 50). Flights from Kuching to Miri are available at low prices on www.airasia.com and all-inclusive price of 1 hour flight, together with airport taxes and taxi far from bus station to airport, will be almost the same as price for 13 hour humpy bumpy ride.

As well as bus is concerned, I don't think you can buy ticket online, but you can buy them on spot. What you can do is call Biaramas head office: +6082610111

Edited: 24 March 2014, 02:43
Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

Hello there,

The Orang Utan Rehabilitation Center located 25 KM west of Sandakan which is 311KM away from Tawau. You can check the reviews on the link below;

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1075066…

About Brunei, keep in mind prices are double Malaysia. I came from Brunei to Sabah in a ferry via Labuan Island. Sorry Cant remember the prices and timing as it was 10 years back. But the distance is around 320KM from Sandakan to Kota Kinabalu. It will be little long journey if you take this route but you can stop a night in Sandakan, and a night in KK that if you have enough time. The easiest way will be flying, check out AirAsia.

Good Luck.

london
Level Contributor
966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

If you arrive into Tawau I would recommend that you spend a few days snorkelling on Mabul Island. ...it's fantastic for turtles. You can stay in homestays on the island...not the Ritz but OK.

Then catch a bus over to Sandakan. The Sepilok Jungle Resort has dorms that are very cheap....it is right next door to the Speilok Orangutan Centre. Your ticket get you in for the whole day, so you can see two feedings. Also if you go early and stay afterwards you may have an orangutan to yourselves. People we met saw also saw them on night walks.

If you can go to the villages on the Kinabatangan River for 2 nights. SJR have a basic lodge there....where you have a very high chance of seeing orangutans in the wild. You can get a bus from Sandakan to the border with Brunei ....hope this helps a bit.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

I agree with "are123", if that is not in ur plan than plz add it. Snorkeling in Sipadan is something unbelievable!!!! The Kinabatngan river is awsome too.

Have a good holiday.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 19:39
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

If you are heading to Sandakan/Sepilok, drop by Danum Valley, the field centre is half the price of the lodge, and although it is tricky to book direct, well worth it for elephants and orangutans and original Borneo forest.

6. Re: Week and a half in Sabah, help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:15