We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Hi

Id like to combine the two, can anyone give any advise

if its possible to combine the best of both.

i prefer to stay at a beach resort and get an excursion to

see the Orang Tangs?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Hi alicia,

If you stay at the Rasa Ria you'll have both, a beautiful beach and a wonderful orangutan sanctuary on site. A fantastic hotel.

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Hi - Thanks for your reply, is that Rasa Ria Shangri - La?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Sorry, yes it's the Shangri-la Rasa Ria

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Do you know how I get to the Rasa Ria, is it by road transfer only?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

The hotel is very secluded and is about an hours drive ( as far as I can remember) from the airport, you are actually right on the edge of the rainforest overlooking a beautiful bay miles from anywhere, heaven on earth. But don't let the location put you off, you are not stranded at the resort as their are taxis and a shuttle bus to take you into town 45 minutes away.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

I forgot to say, yes road transfer only but if money is not a problem the hotel has a heli pad.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

Hi alicia1

Welcome to TA

I'm off to Sabah for the 4th time in about 4 weeks. I will be staying at the Rasa Ria as I do on every trip.

It is about 45 minutes from Kota Kianbalu by the hotel shuttle bus which runs around 4 times a day.

There are lots of on resort activities and tours elsewhere can be booked at the travel shop at the resort.

A regional centre called Tauran, about 20,000 people, is about a 10 minute taxi trip. It is not a tourist town but has a supermarket and assorted shopping.

There is a 18 hole golf course, 4km of bach, and anature reserve including the Orang sanctuary.

The place is a littel bit of paradise.

For other TA traveller reports on the hotel have a look at tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298307-Kota_Kinabalu…

For the hotel web site have look at

shangri-la.com/kotakinabalu/…index.aspx

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

PS

When looking at TA travellers comments on the hotel don't stop at the first report read the rest.

The hotel was renovated 2 -3 years ago and the rooms are very comfortable.

Food id excellent and I have never seen the band that the traveller complains about. Usually the band in the lobby bar is good entertainment.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

I agree with bigw the last reviewer must have stayed in a different hotel from me or is impossible to please. And as far as loud aussie families are concerned this is a family resort and your there to enjoy yourself maybe he should have booked into an adult only resort. Yes there were children around but they did not spoil my holiday.

10. Re: Best Beach and visit to Orun Tang suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 13:21