We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query on Malaria

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Query on Malaria

Hi,

We are returning to Bornei next year.

I've had some conflitcing reports on malaria.

Last time we went we stayed in coastal areas and did not

have protection against Malaria.

Next time we would like to explore river cruises and national parks.

Do we definetly need Malaria profilaxis?

Regards,

Rick

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Query on Malaria

I used to take doxycycline when I went to Sabah but in March I left them at home. I went to Mt Kinabalu National Park and the Wetland trip and was OK. Just used plenty of repellent.

It is really your own decision.

Have you searched on malaria above to look at all the discussion on this topic?

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
908 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query on Malaria

If I were you, I would definitely take antimalarials; better to be safe than sorry. BTW, doxycycline is not an antimalarial.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Query on Malaria

Doxycycline is an antibotic that, among other uses, is percribed as a treatment and for the prevention of malaria. It has been perscribed at least 3 time ny my doctor in Australia for just that purpose.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Query on Malaria

PS a search of this forum will find sereral postings where people have be perscribed doxycycline as an anti malarial.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
908 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Query on Malaria

Yes, bigw, doxycycline is one of the antimalarials. My apologies. I happen to know it being used for something else unrelated, but useful... :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Query on Malaria

HI Rick

I have just been travelling accross the breadth of Sabah and did not use any Malarial tablets.

My travels covered such areas as KK, Kinabalu Park and Peak, poring, Ranau, Mile 33, Gomantong, Kinabatangan River, Telupid, Lahud Datu and remote Tabin Conservation area.

I was in the jungles in out of the way places and never had any concerns. Just use long sleeves and if you prefer and a repellant.

I only ever had shorts and T-shirt and never had a problem.

No recent reports of any new cases of malaria have been reported in Sabah

Cheers

Roger

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Query on Malaria

recently back from sabah & we did take anti malaria tablets- if side effects are an issue we took malarone which didnt have any bad effects at all. they were around £2.10 per tablet from asda pharmacy but you only need to take them for the time you are away and for 7 days after you return.

its up to you but i wanted to be safe rather than sorry!

New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Query on Malaria

When traveling inside of Borneo it is highly recommended to take anti-malaria medicine. All travel medicine services suggest this as does the CDC. We will be taking Malerone for sure when we are there early August. Doxy is an antibiotic which is also used to treat Lyme disease and it has light/sun sensitive as side effect for some people. It is NOT an anti-malarial and doctors experienced in travel medicine would not prescribe it.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Query on Malaria

Dutchtreat

An extract from the US National Library of medicine

"Why is this medication prescribed? Doxycycline is used to treat bacterial infections, including pneumonia and other respiratory tract infections; Lyme disease; acne; infections of skin, genital, and urinary systems; and anthrax (after inhalational exposure). It is also used to prevent malaria. Doxycycline is in a class of medications called tetracycline antibiotics. It works by preventing the growth and spread of bacteria. Antibiotics will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections."

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Query on Malaria

Dutchtreat

Further info from the CDC's own web site

"All travelers to malaria-risk areas in the South Pacific, including infants, children, and former residents of the South Pacific, should take one of the following antimalarial drugs (listed alphabetically):

atovaquone/proguanil,

doxycycline,

mefloquine,

primaquine (in special circumstances).

Atovaquone/proguanil (brand name: Malarone™) "

I take the approach that if I am not sure of my information I do not give advice on that topic on TA.