We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rasa Ria or Sepilok for Orangs?

Aldershot
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rasa Ria or Sepilok for Orangs?

Which is best to go to? Away for my wifes 40th and she badly wants the best experience possible.

In anticipation,

Jason.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rasa Ria or Sepilok for Orangs?

Sepilok requires a flight from KK to Sandakan and there are usually big numbers of viewers and with the flight, getting to and from airports, clearing security etc is a very long day.. Rasa Ria is more intimate with limited numbers and yuo can get really close up to the young Orangs. It is about a 45 minute road trip from KK. Depending where you stay it can be easy to get there. If yuo stay at Rasa Ria of course you are already there, Tanjung Aru, a sister hotel to Rasa Ria runs day excursions. Other hotel you will have to make your own arrangements but if you check posts on this forum you will see several suggestions.

If you decide to go to Rasa Ria book a couple of days in advance and give my whishes to my adopted Orang Genji.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rasa Ria or Sepilok for Orangs?

With the Rasa Ria you cannot help feeling that you are in some sort of safari park, whereas at Sepilok it is a great feeling to see semi wild orangs coming out of the forest.

Both experiences are equally as good for different reasons, the Rasa Ria for guaranteeing a sighting of up to 5 babies, Sepilok for seeing more mature orangs, quite often in greater numbers, along with macaques. (although the numbers can and do vary). The only time my partner went to Sepilok without me she was fortunate to see a really huge male with full side cheeks who has lived wild for many years but occassionally takes the lazy option by turning up. Even the members of staff were nervous of him he was so big!

If you do Sepilok independently it is much more relaxed than a group tour and the same ticket allows you to visit in the afternoon as well which can be considerably quieter.

3. Re: Rasa Ria or Sepilok for Orangs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 09:20