We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Season - What hotel?

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
What Season - What hotel?

Hi

I can't work out what is the best time of year to go to Borneo - can someone help please?

I've been meaning to go for many years and have always swayed between the Tanjung Aru and the Rasa Ria. I have 3 young children and thought that the beach and the sanctuary at the Ria may suit them better but the shopping and proximity to KK would suit us adults better.

Which hotel do you think caters better for children?

Also, are malaria tablets really necessary?

Thanks in advance

Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Tanjung Aru Beach
Tanjung Aru Beach
292 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
uk
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What Season - What hotel?

Hi Sharon,

I have been to Borneo twice,its my fav holiday destination,and i have travelled alot.

Both times i have visited in march/april, the weather was great ,very hot,lots of sunshine,with a little rain some evenings.

I'm not sure how small children would get on with the heat,although saying that,there were quite a few there at the time i went.

I stayed at the tanjung aru both times, the islands were fantastic,just a short boat ride away, and i loved being able to go into kk at night to wander around the shops,and eat at local restaurants.

The rasa ria is also very nice,but personally i prefer the tanjung aru, there is lots to do for children there,and the grounds and pool area is very spacious.

You will need to take malaria tablets,i took malerone,and had no side effects at all.

I hope you get to Borneo,its a wonderful country, i really enjoyed climbing mount kinabalu,and white water rafting,but i don't know if this would be possible with children.

Have fun

suzi

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Season - What hotel?

I also go to Borneo every year in March (4 times so far) as it appears to be the best weather and I find that in the first 2 weeks of the Month there are less kids around.

I spend half my time at the Rasa Ria for its peacful surrounds, beach, and wildlife (animal kind). I then spend the rest of my time at Sutera Harbour for tours, shopping etc.

I believe RR has just rebuilt the Kids Club near the wildlife reserve, with lots of activities for kids. Its grounds are huge and it is always possible to find a secluded area. There is also a great pool and of course the beach. There are lots of on resort activities but, due to insurance some of the more adventourous ones don't allow kids.

Can't comment Tanjung Aru as I have not stayed there.

As for malaria tablets, it's up to you. Talk to your doctor.

If you search top right on malaria you will find never ending discussion on this topic.

Mentioned in this post
Tanjung Aru Beach
Tanjung Aru Beach
292 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Season - What hotel?

I have always considered myself a traveller not a tourist as I spend evrey penny I have seeing the World and try to get away for weekends, short breaks and long haul several times a year. However, I discovered Sabah and cannot stop returning, consequently putting all further destinations on my 'to visit list' on indefinite hold as I love the place so much. I have pretty much taveled the length and breadth of the State along with its islands off of both the East and West coasts and have consequently come to feel like it's my second home.

As above, I always visit in March/April because it gives the best average weather throughout Sabah as it has 2 monsoon seasons, one for East and one for West.

I have also stayed at both Shangri-La properties and can confidently state that they are both very child friendly. On my last visit I noticed that they had even installed a sunshade net over the childrens pool to protect them from burning. Having stayed at other Shangri-La hotels their attention to service and detail appears to be very consistant throughout the chain, which is why I always try to stay in one when in other parts of Asia.

The Tanjung Aru has the edge for me purely because of its location, 10 minutes from the airport, the shops, the islands and walking distance from a large selection of local restaurants.

If you click on my previous posts you will find various additional information that may be useful to you as a first timer.

Mentioned in this post
Tanjung Aru Beach
Tanjung Aru Beach
292 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
4. Re: What Season - What hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu