We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the best currency to use???

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
the best currency to use???

Hi...my daughter is going to Borneo with her school as a group of 15. The company have advised the girls to convert their Australian dollars to English pound. Then another person told us that USD would be better as exchange rate is better and can easily be used throughout Borneo. What is the best currency for her to take??? Sass

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: the best currency to use???

You might find this current topic useful. Some replies to pretty much the same question.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k132…

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the best currency to use???

The company? is not giving good advice. Are they going to do the currency exchange?

With the Australian dollar going gang busters at the moment why waste money on exchange rate commissions to convert to the English Pound and then to RM in Sabah. I always take $A and by using local money changers have got excllent exchange rates.

Don't buy your MR in Australia before leaving as the exchange rate you get will be very poor. The rate offered in Australia last march was aroung 2.35MR for the $A. I got 2 .75MR for the $A in Sabah, It is probably even better now.

Another tip, I use a Maestro/Cirrus card in ATMs in Kota Kinabalu and also get an excellent exchange rate.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the best currency to use???

Thanks for this...will pass onto the school and hopefully they will be able to guide the girls as to what the best option is!

Sass

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the best currency to use???

Hi Sass31

Bigw gives good advice - pointless to change and change again. The Australian currency is well liked and accepted in Sabah as Australians are one of our top 5 markets, so no worries to exchange your money here.

The rate here would be better than in Australia, even if you do exchange here at the airport or hotel (which is the two most expensive places, in that order). At Sutera Harbour Resort today you could get 2.86 Ringgit for your Aussie dollar, probably the same at other hotels, but probably even better in town.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the best currency to use???

Hi Sass31

We have just returned and got Rm2.96 up to 2.98 for $a with no problems changing. There are moneychangers everywhere but we found it convenient to use the one on the Basement level at CentrePoint at the entrance to the Pacific Supermarket. Their rate was always good and being in the entrance to the Supermarket, there are plenty of people there.

Regards

AllanWW

6. Re: the best currency to use???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu
Recent Conversations