We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October - two centre holiday

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
October - two centre holiday

Hi,

We're thinking of going to Malaysia at the end of October. We were thinking of 2-3 nights in Hotel Istana in KL. Anyone stayed here? Is 3 nights too long to spend in KL? Then thinking of moving on to Nexus Resort in Karambunai? Any feedback on this one? We were thinking of staying here for 8 nights. Are there nice restaurants? Apart from the usual beach stuff, what else would you recommend?

Thanks...

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October - two centre holiday

For TA Traveller reviews of Nexus and other hotels in KK have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298307-Kota_Kinabalu…

For things to do in and around KK have alook at TA INside Pages at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298307-s1/Kota-Kinab…

For KL Hotels have alook at

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298570-Kuala_Lumpur_…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October - two centre holiday

Thanks bigw! Have you been to Malaysia yourself? Anything that you'd recommend as a 'must do' given that we only have 2 weeks there??

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October - two centre holiday

Audron

I have been to KK 4 times in the last 4 years. I usually split my time with a week at the Rasa Ria for the wonderful beach, the nature reserve, the ambience and the total relaxation, and Sutera Harbour for tours and shopping. I spend a week at each.

The day trips post on Inside pages is mainly mine and lists the things that I have done.

I love the Klias wetland trip and have done it every time. Got soaked by a rainstorm in March but I think that made the trip better.

Gaya St Markets on Sunday mornings are hetic but worth doing and atrip to the Islands of TAR from Sutera Harbour, the city wharf or near Tanjung Aru are well worth while.

Don't misss the Orangs. I prefer the ones at Rasa Ria as there are nowhere near as many people as at Sepilok and it doesn't require a plane trip.

See if you can arrange atrip to Kampong Panabawan (see the days trips Inside Page). It is alittle difficult to get to but it is very interesting as it is areal village with very little tourist influence.

I enjoyed Kinabalu Park last trip as well.

Generally I just love KK, Sabah and the wonderful People.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October - two centre holiday

Over the last 7 years I have been to sabah many times and now when I go I stay for a few days at the start and finish of my trip at my favourite hotel, the Tanjung Aru. The rest of the time I spend visiting various areas to the East, including the islands of Sipidan and Mabul, living and mixing with the true local people.

On my first ever visit I did a twin centre between the Nexus and TA and had 17 days in Sabah. I did most of the tourist things but did not have time to do them all.

My 2nd visit lasted 19 days and that was when I discovered that I had barely scratched the surface the first time. It took a further visit of 21 days before I felt that I had seen all that I wanted to (although this still did not include evrything). I have since been back for even longer periods as despite having a long list of places to still tio visit around the World, Sabah has stopped me in my tracks as I love it so much.

Therefore, for a first trip I would recommend the following, (based on my own first time).

White Water rafting on the Padas, combination of scenic train journey and exhilerating adventure.

Climb Mount Kinabalu, (easy to arrange independently giving you your own time and including a side trip to Poring Springs).

Contact the local Tourist Board in town and find out where the latest Raffelesia has bloomed, then visit it. (Largest flower in the World).

Snorkle from Sapi Island.

Visit both Sepilok and Rasi Ria Orang Utan sanctuary's for diiferent experiences, Rasa ria has babies up to 5 years old, Sepilok has all ages. (My partner visited in my absence once and saw a huge male with massive cheeks that even made the keepers nervous).

Visit Gaya Street Market in KK.

Eat at the outdoor square in Asia city.

Visit KK cultural museum.

Visit Turtle Island

Using tour company's would save time and research for most of these, but apart from the White Water Rafting we do everything independently as it not only allows the length of time that we choose but you can also combine itinerary's to maximise time, (as we did by combining Poring Springs and the Mountain).

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October - two centre holiday

With reference to KL: My partner and I had three days there and could have stayed longer.

We arrived late afternoon on our first day and went for a wander, visted the KL Tower and then had something to eat. On our second day we visited the local caves and a rubber plantation on the way to the Elephant Sanctuary, this was a great day out, try to avoid the crowds by not visiting at the weekend.

Our third day we did a proper tour of KL, went up the Petronas Towers, did a bit of shopping and a second visit up the KL tower as this was one of the highlights.

We would like to have visited Fraser Hill (where my partners father had been stationed in the 60's) but we ran out of time.

Again, when we did our day out to the Elephant Sanctuary, we did it by taxi not coach tour. It meant that we could travel when and where we liked at the times we wanted.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: October - two centre holiday

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any travel agents that they used in KK to organise day trips/dive trips etc ?

Thanks...

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October - two centre holiday

Yes try

http://www.exborneo.com/

http://www.wildlife-expeditions.com/

I have used both at various times and found them to be good.

8. Re: October - two centre holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 13:21