We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel???

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotel???

hi, which hotel would people recommend in KK? We are going to be on honeymoon but do not want anything too quiet with no life. We wanna be central too. Would also like to do a longhouse, survivor night as we have decided not to go over to Sepilok cause of time. We do not wanna be travelling all the time. The Nexus looks nice. The Rasa Ria is very far away from city isnt it? Hotel must have aircon, pool, nice views and a bar. Also a travelagent would be handy to book tours. Also any ideas on Longhouse stay?

Thank you,

Tracy

Gogosabah
Sightseeing Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
River Junkie Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Hiking & Camping Tours
TWU
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel???

Yes, Rasa Ria is very far from the city. It is very good stay if you have your own Transport.

Promenade Hotel is good. Sea side and food stalls in front of the hotel and a big shopping mall just few mins walk away. (5 to 10mins) www.promenade.com.my

This one pinganchorage.com.my/malaysia_hotel/kotakina… is just beside Promenade Hotel around five miniute walk with shopping center attached.

Other promo look here: http://www.cuti.com.my/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Promenade Hotel
Promenade Hotel
661 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel???

Jamienoah

Both the Rasa Ria and Nexus are about 40 minutes out of town.

If you still want 5 star luxury only 10 minutes from the city centre, then choose either Shangri La's Tanjung Aru, or Sutera Harbour Resort - you'll probably find the latter has the best of both world - The Magellan Sutera has that honey-mooney feel, whilst the resort has plenty to offer and is itself only about 5 minutes by taxi from town.

I'm sure the post above is well intended, but coming all the way from Ireland the Tang Dynasty will certainly dissapoint (very much a city hotel which might be ok to use as a base, but not recommended for a honeymoon - I think it's a 2 star).

Most hotel which you'll end up in will have aircon, pool and a bar. For nice views, refer to the two above. KK has some of the best sunsets in the world, virtually daily.

As for the longhouses, there are a few famous long-houses - there's one near Kudat which you can stay over in. Try Discovery Tours and Travel, Wildlife Expeditions, Borneo Eco tours etc. they probably have a tour tailored and waiting.

That should get you going.

Mentioned in this post
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru...
3,929 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Borneo Eco Tours - Day Tours
Borneo Eco Tours - Day...
256 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel???

The Tanjung Aru Resort is fantastic for honeymooners! iv just spent 3 nights there with my boyfriend on the romance package. was amazing. they layed flowers in a shape of a heart on the bed, flowers in the bath, aromatherapy scents in the room. the service was outstanding, never ever been treated so well in a hotel before. all the staff made you feel very special inlcuding housekeeping! reception offered us a fantastic deal on an upgrade to a suite and the horizon club which was completly worth it, beautiful views over the islands and service just could not have got any better. the food was great and the free drinks made it worth while too! Although it is 10mins out of town, i couldnt recommend a better hotel for a honeymoon. the sunsets there are romantic in themselves! there is sooo much to do at the resort and the shuttle to the rasa ria is great especially to see the orangutans. we went to sepilok as well, not as natural but get a closer look at the orangutans. so if you cant get over to sepilok, rasa ria is just as good. Enjoy! :o)

Mentioned in this post
Tanjung Aru Beach
Tanjung Aru Beach
292 Reviews
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel???

Not sure that Sepilok should be described as not as natural as the Rasa Ria.

Sepilok allows the Orang Utans to live their own life in the Jungle, returning to the centre when and if they want feeding, (as opposed to foraging for themselves).

The Rasa Ria is set up to care for up to 5 babies at a time, for Sepilok until they attain the age of 5.

Both are different experiences, I found Sepilok to be the most natural, with so many more Orang's of all ages, as well as macaques. I have also seen snakes there. (All free to come and go as they please). However, I always like to visit both.

The TA is a Shangri-La property and having stayed in 6 of them throughout Asia, I have come to appreciate that they are superior to a lot of other Hotel chains and therefore would not anticipate being disappointed with any of them.

5. Re: hotel???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:20