We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Vaccinations

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on Vaccinations

I'm staying in Brunei (Empire) and Kota Kinabalu (Rasa Ria/Tanjung Aru) in February.

There are 6 of us in total, my mum (75), me and hubby, daughter 8 and twins at 3.

My husband and I are planning to take my 8 year old on some trips so we will have our typhoid injection and take malaria tablets however my mum and 3 year olds will stay in resort. My mum reacted badly last time to Larium so she's reluctant to take malaria tablets and I only want to give the twins them and typhoid injections if necessary.

I did speak to my GP who was astonished I would even contemplate going to Borneo with or without kids because in his opinion it was just one big swamp where the army went to train! So he wasn't too helpful (to be honest, he thinks Benidorm is exotic!).

I have read through these forums but I can't find whether the consensus is, if you stay in resort you should be ok. I know proper medical advice should be sought but would value anyones opinion?

Thanks in advance

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

Prior to my first trip to Kota Kinabalu I had my Polio and tetnus shots updated. Should do that anyway.

I had a complete series of Hep A a few years ago so that is OK.

Iv'e never worried about typhoid as Kota Kinabalu is a modern city with high quality water supply and sewage system as at Rasa Ria.

The only conceesion I give is that I prefer to drink bottled water but I drink filtered water or bottled water at home. There was a typoid outbreak in the very north of Sabah around Kudat last year but all fixed now. Looking at you plans you don't look liker going there.

I think you need to find a GP who has a more realistic view of the world.

As for anti malarial, there are other solutions to Larium. I use doxycycline ( prescribed by my GP) which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Typhoid has never been suggested by my GP, who by the way, has been to KK himself with family.

Use you first thought get medical advice.

nyc, usa
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

I will be traveling to KL, Melaka, Penang and Langkawi beginning next week for 10 days. I too have received many different opinions on what to get. In the end, I got: Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Tetanus (recommended every 10 years) and Polio. The first 3 were recommended, polio was optional so I just agreed to that. Malaria pills were optional and recommended only if you are in a hilly or foresty area. I don't know too much about Borneo. Check out the Center for Disease Control's web site: www.cdc.org for recommendations. Someone also recommended vaccination for Hepatitis B, but then my doctor said that is transitted through bodily fluids/sexual contact, and he said if you are not planning on being sexually active with the locals and don't anticipate needing a blood transfusion, don't bother with B. FYI, there is a combination Hepatitis A&B vaccination out there if you wanted to get it.

Good Luck. And have fun!

England
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

You may consider, Japanese Encaphalitis and Rabies vaccinations to.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

In all my trips to Sabah I have never heard of cases of Japanese Encaphalitis and Rabies.

The resorts/Hotels that SpamboEngland has mentioned are modern world class resorts and Sabah is not the third world location that some people imagine.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

Japanese Encaphalitis and Rabies vaccinations are generally only recommended if you intend to travel into deep jungle and be more than 24 hours away from hospital facilities. I was told by my GP that the JE injection is particularly unpleasent!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

Hello,

Malaria is not a problem in KK and Brunei. Larium has terrible side effects, there is a new injection against malaria with very little side effects, I'm not sure about the name, but do ask your doctor. Very basical immunissations for all children and people born after 1980 in Malaysia include : Tetanus, BCG (against TB), MMR - measles, mumps, rubella; Twinrix (Hep A & B, needs to be refreshed every 15 years), diptheria, pertussis and Hib (meningitis) and optionally; chicken pox (very common among children) though not dangerous.

JE is a form from the 3 meningitis strands that is infectious but not so common. Hib should protect you from the most common strand and from pheunomia (which is also good for your mum).

Its not a great infectious land, esp when you are in KK and Brunei!

Just take precautions - drink boiled/mineral water, some chemical free DEET, sunblock, wear long pants and cotton shirt (tourists love to run around in shorts and singlets and complain that they get bitten by mosquitoes!!). If your children has asthma, it can be aggrevated when there is haze or forest fire in that area.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

Obviously your GP had not travelled beyond his national border; with your stay in Rasa Ria and Tanjung Rhu-these are magnificient hotels,and more so the Empire in oil rich kingdom of Brunei.

If you staying in those mentioned resorts- you really only need insect repellant with the active ingredient of DEET.

As advised in a thread, hepatitis jabs is advisable,after a blood profile shows that your body composition does not have the antigens,and requires a boost. So first do blood profile,then only decide whether need the jabs.

Even with hepatitis jab, well, for me, I developed a slight fever for a day or two.

I hope you are not looking at yellow fever jabs also.

8. Re: Thoughts on Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:15