We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from Rasa Ria/Tanjung Aru

England
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Trips from Rasa Ria/Tanjung Aru

Hi All

I'll be staying 14 nights, 7 nights at Rasa Ria followed by 7 nights at Tanjung Aru and would like to know which is the best base to do the trips from (i.e. to limit the time spent travelling?)

Sepilok/Turtle Island (presume Tanjung Aru as we'll see the Rasa Ria's own?)

White Water rafting

Quad Biking

Poring Hot Springs

River Safari

The HeadHunters village (begins with an M I think???)

Kinabalu Park

I will also visit the Islands from the Tanjung Aru

Also, can anyone advise which trips would be suitable for children (aged 8)?

Is there anything located near the Rasa Ria?

Thanks in advance

Sharon

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips from Rasa Ria/Tanjung Aru

Hi Sharon

Rasa Ria and Tanjung Aru is only about 40 minutes apart (both located in Kota Kinabalu, the Rasa Ria just outside of town and the Tanjung Aru almost in town).

Sepilok/Turtle Island -

Rasa Ria has it's own little orang utang sanctuary, but no turtles, so if you are going to Sandakan, yes, Tanjung Aru is probably better as it's closer to the airport (asuming that you're flying)

White Water rafting

Tanjung Aru again, because the whitewater rafting sites are past Papar which is in the opposite direction to where the Rasa Ria is located.

Quad Biking -

There's quad biking at the Rasa Ria itself.

Poring Hot Springs -

Quicker to get to from the Rasa Ria as you have to drive in the direction of the Rasa Ria (from town) to get there.

River Safari -

Depending on where you do this - if you're going on the Klias River safari then Tanjung Aru, because again, it's past Papar, opposite side of Kota Kinabalu to Rasa Ria. Actually, if you're doing it out of Sandakan then the same as Turtle Island, Tanjung Aru - proximity to the airport.

The HeadHunters village (begins with an M I think???) -

Monsopiad Villiage - Tanjung Aru, as this village is located in Penampang, a neighbourhood of Kota Kinabalu to which Tanjung Aru is closer.

Kinabalu Park -

Rasa Ria - same direction as Poring Hot Spring (the hot springs are another 40 minutes further down the same road).

Also, can anyone advise which trips would be suitable for children (aged 8)?

I think all of the above will be suited for 8 year olds - even the white-water rafting - they equip you with life-vest and helmets, so combined with some swimming skills, if they're adventurous, they should be OK.

The Rasa Ria is about 15 or so minutes from the nearest town, Tuaran. There are some stalls immediately on the main road once you get out of the Resort (a good 5 minutes from this road to get to the actual Resort building).

There are two seafood restaurants nearby (Salut and another one I can't remember the name of), again, not walking distance, but close enough. Other than that, one of the outer suburbs, King Fisher, is about 20 minutes away (shops and stuff (McDonalds) and soon the biggest mall in Borneo called "1 Borneo") - and KK city centre is another 10 to 20 minutes beyond that.

Hope that helps.

2. Re: Trips from Rasa Ria/Tanjung Aru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 17:17