We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather confusion!

Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Weather confusion!

I'm confused! Can someone help me with when the best time to visit KK is? The official climate charts show March as being the driest month, but I have been advised by a travel agent that the best time to visit is July and August. When do you think thr best time to visit is??

Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather confusion!

I go in March every year and have not had any compliants about the weater. It may storm of an evenig and I have had a couple of days where it rained all day but that is over 4 trips in 4 years.

This type of weather is fairly common all year in KK.

Some Travel Agents, seems to be in the UK in particular, don't seem to know local conditions in KK. The area is not subject to the normal monsoon times as the west coast of Sabah is shielded by mountains. The eweather is pretty consistent all year round.

They need to do a bit more research and not rely on limited knowledge.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather confusion!

I agree with bigw, in the UK no-one seems clear on the seasons in Sabah, and I'm an ex-travel agent myself! I think that the travel agents base their recommendation based soley on the West coast, which is where all the tourist hotels are.

Through my own research I would suggest that the best time to go is indeed around about March, I always try to go over the Easter Bank Holiday, thus giving me extra holiday allowence.

Hence I have been several times, varying from mid-March to early May.

If you want to see elephants on the Kinabatangan then one of the two opportunities is in March and generally no later. (The other time is in September or October, I believe). When I was there at that time of year, I was fortunate to see a herd of about 100 grazing in the open.

The main reason for picking these particular months is that according to some reference books Sabah has two monsoon seasons, one in the West and one in the East, so if you wish to explore both sides of Sabah, these months fall between the two.

3. Re: Weather confusion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 14:20