We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I really need malaria tablets?

Gloucestershire
4 posts
Save Topic
Do I really need malaria tablets?

I've recently been to speak my local nurse about jabs and what not for travelling to KK. In your opinion are they really needed? The only tablets I can take that are not going to send me loopy or make me liable to sunburn cost 50 quid a pop!!

Me and the other half are off to KK in May.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

Type malaria in the search box above and you will find lots of discussion on the topic.

London UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

I don't think anyone will tell you not to take them, esp the doctors in England simply because Sabah is one of the countries in the world that does have Malaria - however - i have spent several months in Sabah and the vast majority of people do not take them, myself included.

From what i gather, although Malaria is present, its within the interior so if you're going jungle trekking, which i've done a lot of just cover up and use Jungle Formula (which you can't buy there so make sure you take it with you) !!

The very first time i ever visited Sabah 10 years ago myself and a mate took Malaria tablets (upon doctors recommendations) and they made us sick as dogs !!!

Marc

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

Just remember two things:

It only takes ONE bite.

Just because other people have been lucky, that does not make it safe.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

If you're just going to KK, you wouldn't need malaria pills. However if you're trekking in the jungle, then you MAY need them. Check out: http://www.who.int/ith/countries/mys/en/

gives you some info on outbreak areas.

I've been to KK numerous times and have never taken those pills. I would recommend that you buy mossie repellent ... UK brand "Mozzie Guard" is available at major pharmacies.

Gloucestershire
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll probably end up taking something as knowing my luck i'll get eaten by the one mossie with big sharp pointy teeth! : )

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

£50?

I recently got mine (2 months worth of pills) and it cost £12.

Ask for Doxycycline. Although this does make you more susceptible to sunburn, its not noticeable, and if you've got sunscreen on it doesn't really make a difference.

A friend of mine picked up Malaria last year, definitely not something you want to get! After what he has told me, I would use any precaution available in order to avoid it.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

It amazes me that people who are not medically qualified think it appropriate to encourage others to take potentially life threatening risks, particularly using words such as 'maybe' and 'probably'!

The ONLY advice on malaria should be given by a fully qualified medical practitioner and then it is up to the individual to make their own 'risk assessment' (and when you are travelling to a malarial country, be in no doubt, there is risk attached).

From an experience point of view, my partner always gets bitten everywhere we go,even in the UK. Mozzies (and other flying insects) seem to love her. I rarely get bitten anywhere, even when I do not use repellent. However, in Sabah I still take precautions which include spraying all over with repellent as well as wearing long sleeves and trousers in the evening. Even though I do this, the little b***ers have always managed to find somewhere to bite me, sometimes through my clothes, so there is no such thing as total protection.

With regards to any tablets you may (or may not) wish to purchase, I ordered mine from the internet at a fraction of the cost of going to places such as Boots. Again, you need to take advice on what to buy, as there may be more than one type of malaria depending on where you intend to visit. The most expensive that I have taken cost £2.50 per day, and you only start the course 2 days before and finish 1 week after.

Finally, if you can rely on not even one malarial mozzie invading KK from the jungle and therefore take nothing, you need to think very carefully about whether or not you may change your mind about being confined to this area as Sabah has many more attractions that you will realize when you are there.

Gloucestershire
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

Thanks again all for your advice. I'll definitely be taking some drugs of some description, I'll double check with my nurse when I go to get my jabs.

FYI my nurse did tell me that the Doxy doo dah tablets do make you liable to sunburn but it can also mess around with ladies taking oral contraception, but please don't take me writing it down as gospel go and check with your GP/Nurse.

9. Re: Do I really need malaria tablets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 15:18