We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

Xmas/New Year 2008 2 oldies ,

Tanjong Aru , Club Rooms or Rasa Ria?

We are not "beach " or "pool"people , want to visit town and local eateries, orangutan sanctuary or similar , maybe snorkelling if suitable .

Plus prefer not too many kiddie activities !

(Been there , done that - going thro our W.C. Fields stage as far as kids are concerned )

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

Tanjung Aru

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

If you want to be near a variety of eating places, town and do tours and are not interested in the beachthe answer is Tanjung Aru. However, being Xmas/New year there are going to be kids around. Have you thought about a hotel other than a resort suchas Radius, Le Meridian, or the Imperial. All of these are actually in Town and are location, location.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298307-d302…

Check out the link above to my review of Tanjung Aru. We loved it there and the front desk arranged a bus for us to go to the Rasa Ria for a day trip and visit the Orangutan sanctuary. Rasa Ria Resort is totally isolated and not recommended. Tanjong Aru is a 10 minute RM15 taxi ride into the heart of the town where numerous eateries are available along with shopping, sightseeing, etc.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

hi there,

we stayed in the Tanjung Aru last summer for part of our honeymoon and i would recommend it over the rasa ria.

It is close to Kota Kinabalu with its shops, restaurants and markets and alothugh you will still need to get a taxi, it is only 5 mins or so away. The rasa ria is much further away in a more isolated setting.

if you are into snorkelling, the tanjung aru is also perfect as you can get boats directly from the hotel to the group of island off the coast. there a loads of beautiful colourful fish to see and the water is so warm. That was one of my favourite memories of my trip! There are also walking trails on some of the bigger islands. Snorkel gear can be hired from the hotel and the boats take only about 10 mins to get to the islands.

as the last poster menioned, you can also travel to the rasa ria on the hotels own bus where you can visit the orang utan sanctuary. This is worth the visit- even if you go to sepilok too, its good to see the project at the Rasa Ria as its the younger orang utans and is on a smaller scale so you have a good chance of seeing lots of them.

hope this helps!

adelaide, australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

Hi, my wife and i stayed at Tanjung Aru in may 2007. We are in our early 50's so some call us "oldies". We also are not beach people so this resort suited us perfectly. We headed out everyday on tours or into KK by ourselves as it is a very easy country to move around in. KK has plenty of eateries especially along the waterfront. There is a food place about 5 mins walk from the resort where we ate many times for about $3-4 aud. Enjoy your stay.

Daz

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

Thanks everyone , Tanjong Aru it is

kota kinabalu
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

yes. Tanjung Aru is the right choice if u wanna visit town and local eateries.

8. Re: Tanjong Aru or Rasa Ria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 21:17