We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Oxford
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

I've been searching the web trying to find car rental companies thet operate at KKIA - with limited success. Can anyone help?

I don't really want to risk organising a rental until I arrive (as some posts on various discussion sites suggest).

I want a compact car (2 people) to travel outside KK (towards Kudat). I don't think this will involve dirt road (or only short distances), which seems to be excluded by many rental companies (except for 4*4s).

I would be very grateful for any advise.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

For my case, I arranged a auto-sedan car rental with a company in KK city before I arrived. They actually stated in contract that I am supposed to deposit RM200 before I arrive. So the only way to do so is by telegraphic transfer, but that costs me extra which I thought will not make a good price.

So I actually emailed the company again asking if they can specially arrange for me this time so that I only pay the cash deposit upon arrival. So after a few days they emailed back saying ok. You may want to consider requesting this to the company.

One thing is, they assume the RM200 deposit is extra of the total amount charged, which I felt I am not obliged to do so since I didnt get the impression from the contract. Luckily the staff agreed and I just had to pay the remaining 400plus RM on the last day to make up that total amount.

KKIA is actually in major renovations where even the taxi stand is slightly further away. I did not really notice any car rental counters but I assume there are. Mind you the check-in counters can be even located far away from each airline.

The road condition is quite ok, though with the unpredictable drivers on the roads. They have many roundabouts which sometimes it's a little hard to notice and I just didnt manage to stop in time.

sydney AU
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

I will be in KK in August. I notice there is a Hertz outlet there. I have used Hertz many times but not in KK. I'm curious as to who nova19 used for their car hire.

Oxford
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Thanks all,

I did see the very useful post under

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k259…

by new22003 which lists many car hire firms (see also www.sabahtourism.com/v1/jpn/directory.php… ). However, these lists give myriad local addresses (and a few web addresses), and don’t show who have desks at KKIA (but Hertz and Mayflower seem likely prospects).

I have been used in Europe to hiring a car on arrival, thus avoiding expensive initial taxi transfers from airport to hotel as well as giving flexible transport while on holiday. I was hoping to do the same in KK.

Thanks again

John

Darwin Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

On three occasions over the last four years, I've used Kinabalu Rent-a-Car. http://www.kinabalurac.com.my/

Despite a couple of minor (non-mechanical) problems, vehicles have been in good condition. On our last trip in March/April we hired a Proton Waja for one month and it cost us RM1900.

Booking was confirmed by email without the need for a deposit. On two occasions we've organised drop off and pick up at our hotel, but on the last trip we collected the car at the airport.

Everything has always gone according to plan without any hitches, and I will certainly be using them again when we return to Sabah next year.

Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Have you guys tried the Air asia site? (www.airasia.com) They have links to car rentals in KK. I have tried. I can't compare or comment on the price since I X know what the current rate is. But I notice there are 2 websites for local car rent via net and 1 site is cheaper than the other. I plan to go in June myself.. Can't wait to go!!!

Oxford
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

I can now answer my own post, as we have just returned from KK and a successful car hire. We hired from 'KK leisure tour & rent a car' who have a desk at KKIA Terminal 1 (as do Global rent a car). We took a Kancil for 3 days, at a daily rate of 90RM plus 18RM CDW.

We drove to the Northern limit of Borneo, which involved only about 2km of dirt road. The Kancil had AC and was big and quick enough for us (our suitacases needed to go on the back seats). It comfortably kept up with all the land cruisers.

Driving was easy, with out of town road speeds of 70-100 km/h, but there was a problem with very slow cars (usually under 40 km/h) causing bunching and tailgating.

Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Hi guys,

Anybody planning to rent a car during yr visit?

well, I can help u in this. As I am working outstation and will not be using my car most of the time..I decided to do business..I own a sedan car..I can rent it to you for RM100 perday..very cheap but you have to pay for the fuels

This is an offer not to be missed

8. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 00:05
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Hi i will be in kk on 23/6/09 & planning to rent a car for 3 days, appreciate if u could email me at cableup@streamyx.com

Thanks.

Regards,

MY

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental at Kota Kinabalu airport

Hi Loana12,

Pls email me asap