We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

herts
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

Does any one know if it is advisable to have the vaccination for Japanese encephalitis when going to the Rasa Ria Resort for a couple of weeks?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

As a regular(ish) visitor, I only have the basic shots and have never had shots for dengue or encephalitis.

The shots are only really necessary if you are staying for over a month in a rural area.

It is infrequent/uncommon in urban areas.

If you are worried, use a good mossy repellant.

herts
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

Will do, thanks for that.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

Just have what you would have at home if they are not up to date. Tetnus, Polio. Take mosquito repellent with you and that should do.

scot abroad
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

The same question that I was after, what about thyphoid injection. We're staying in an apartment for a couple of weeks.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

You should not need typhoid. If you leave the hotel of resort or the Kota Kinabalu area, drink bottled water.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

From memory you need all of the standard vaccinations. (I say 'from memory' because I am always up to date with all of them as I travel so much). You would only need to consider Japanese Encephalitis if you were trekking in the jungle and more than 24 hours away from a hospital. I have been advised that if you do have the shot, it is one of the most uncomfortable!

7. Re: vaccinations when visiting Kota Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 18:22