We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

brisbane
3 posts
Save Topic
Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

Is it worth travelling from KK to Sandikan for the day or should we just stick to the sanctuary at the Rasa Ria?

1. Re: Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2008, 16:32
GWP
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

If it's orang utangs you are interested in, I think the Rasa Ria experience is easy and fine. No need to do both. I did a day trip to Sandakan recently from KK - to look at the Aust War Memorial and the Agnes Keith House - and found that a few hours would be fine for a look around. Took an early morning flight and had magnificent views of Mount Kinabalu on the way over (get a seat on the left-hand side). I paid around 300RM for a driver to show me around Sandakan for about three hours -which is probably enough. If you caught the first MAS flight over at around 8am and back around lunchtime or early arvo that would be fine without doing the orang utangs.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

We did both sanctuaries and I enjoyed Sepilok more than Rasa Ria. The babys were cute and all (we saw 4) but I thought the full grown orangutans were much more exciting to see, it felt like you were out in the wild more for some reason. We didnt visit the proboscis monkey sanctuary but that plus Sepilok would be well worth a day trip in my opinion.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

Following on from what the previous poster said, I always visit both as both are very different experiences. If you simply want to tick 'seen Orang Utans' off your list, then the Rasa Ria would would suffice on its own.

5. Re: Sandakan - is it worth it as a daytrip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 20:19