We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poring hot springs

Perth,WA
6 posts
Save Topic
Poring hot springs

How long does it take to get from KK to the Springs? Some of the info says 3hrs but it is only about 85kM. Are the roads bad? We will be at the Nexus, which should make us closer, I think. The info posted in '07 suggests taking a bus from KK to Ranau and then a taxi. Has anyone made the trip recently? A tour will cost 248RM.

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poring hot springs

Hi went went to KK last year and are going again in Oct. Travelled with 2 children age 4 & 8. We stayed at the Rasa Ria which is a little further than Nexus about 10 mins on. We hired a car and drove up to Mount Kinabalu, visited the botanical gardens and then headed on up to Poring Springs. It does take a while. Probably about 2 hours to the mountain going north of KK through town of Tuaran and then another hour of a little more to Ranau and the springs. It is a very pleasant drive and the road that way is not too bad. There is a canopy walk at the springs as well which is nice, a little hairy but great views. We left quite late and made the mistake of taking the road from Ranau to Tambunan which is quite trecherous with many parts of the road missing due to mudslides. We were driving through the dark and got home well after 8pm.

I do recommend doing it yourself though, just head out early and return via Tuaran. It is a good 3 - 3 1/2 hours on the return trip. I live in Perth and would be happy to chat if you wanted to give me your phone no. You can do this via the message section without it being visible to all.

It's a wonderful place and the landscape and scenery are truly spectacular.

Perth,WA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Poring hot springs

Thanks very much for the info. I think we will probably go with one of the tours as we are a little nervous about driving in KK. Sorry we can't chat.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poring hot springs

Being a very independent traveller my partner and I never take tours and combined a visit to Poring Springs with climbing the mountain.

It was extremely cheap and easy to do and as you have already mentioned, it is a simple case of catching the express bus to Sandakan but getting off at Ranau then catching a taxi.

The coach was air conditioned with reclining seats. All passengers were given a drink and a cake bar and there was also a video! We left at 7.30am from KK bus station and stopped for breakfast in Ranau before continuing.

After Poring, the same taxi driver picked us up and took us to the park where we stayed prior to our climb.

Because we were so knackered at the end, we accepted the offer of a private minibus with all seats laid flat in the back (bliss) for our return. However, some people simply caught the express bus from the park gate as it passed, coming from Sandakan to KK.

manila
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Poring hot springs

hello, we went to KK last march. and visited poring hot spring and kinabalu national park. it was a good ride, the road is ok. it took us about 1.5 hrs to reach the spring. we are all 6 and we paid around 130rm each for the day tour, it's inclusive of an aircon van, admission fees, and buffet lunch., and tour guide. we just asked for a tour in our hotel reception in radius waterfront. i hope u find the same rate also. try asking in the front desk. goodluck!

5. Re: Poring hot springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 07:19