We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
81 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

I heard that there'll be tours available in the hotel (Tanjung Aru is where I'm staying), and see there are various booking options available online and in the city. So where is the best place to book everything? Would the cost vary by huge amount (assuming it'll be more expensive to book @ hotel but heard they have a private port to take the boat to islands)? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Wildlife Borneo, who I have used many times, actually have there Kota Kinablau Office at Tanjung Aru.

see

http://www.wildlife-expeditions.com/

The boats to the Islands are from the beach adjacent to Tanjung Aru. There is a private marina at Sutera Harbour.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Tanjung Aru Resort do have a Marina and they run ferries to and from the islands hourly. It would be much cheaper for you to approach the Marina directly if you want to go to the islands opposite. It is unnecessay for you to venture out of the hotel as you would have to include the transportation and also jetty fees whereas there's no jetty fees at the Marina of Tanjung Aru.

If you prearrange your itinerary and make a packaged tour out of it, it would cost you lower than booking individual tours upon arrival.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,422 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Hi

I would second BigW on Wildlife Expeditions

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

We're also going to Tanjung Ary in 10 days (can't wait!).....is it usually OK to go to the Wildlife Expeditions office and book all trips when you get there or do they generally need booking before you go? How busy / booked up are the various trips?

We'd like to do a trip to Klias Wetland and also a trip to Poring Hot Springs / Kinabalu Park.

Also, is it easy to arrange a trip to sister hotel (Rasa Ria) to see Orangutans when we get there?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Should be OK to book trips for Klias wetland when you get there. Book a day or 2 before you want to go just to be sure.

Getting to the Rasa Ria is easy. They are sister hotels and there is a shuttle bus between the two resorts. I suspect there will be an activities desk where you can boofk to see theOrangs and I imagine that the Conceirge staff will handle shuttle bus booking. That is the way it wors at Rasa Ria.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

It is really easy to do most things independently in Sabah, which gives you more time, more flexibility and can save a lot of money.

Therefore, my advice would be to not book a load of trips on arrival, but perhaps only one or two of those that you are really keen on. Pick up leaflets and info for all the other tours available and then spend some time relaxing by the pool considering your own itinerary using them as a guide.

The best use of time is to take a mini tour rather than lots of day trips, this is very inexpensive independently but can be considerably more through an operator (although compared to the Western world, still pretty good value).

For instance, one of the first independant tours that my partner and I did was a combination of Poring Springs and climbing Mount Kinabalu using buses to and from the area and a taxi between Ranua/Poring and Poring/Kinabalu Park with 1 night's accommodation at the park and one on the mountain. It was cheaper than 2 day trips or a tour and we had our own guide going up the mountain which meant that we could walk at our own pace rather than that of a group (most of whom we observed were able to go much faster than us).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
81 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

Thanks for all the information everyone!! (just happened to see the replies) Mainly I have just 3 days to hang around + I really hate to wake up early (I see many need to be ready by 830... which is a bit challenging to me). After some searching here are the things I want to do:

- Full day islands + beaches + bit of snorkeling: do I need to take a trip for easier arrangement?

- Poring Hot Springs for Canopy Walkway + Fireflies watching (I guess this has to be taken by a tour?)

- National Park / Rasa Ria Nature Reserve + City browsing: I guess I need booking via hotel?

Do I need to book a tour esp. for the 2nd pt?

Thanks again all!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

For the Rasa Ria get the concierge to arrange it for you.

City Browsing, just get the shuttel bus into the city.

National Park, you will need to book a tour unless you are willing to self arrange it.

9. Re: Tour booking inside Tanjung Aru hotel or outside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:15