We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria

Norway
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
malaria

Im going on a trip to Sukau Rainforrest for 3days, do i need to take malaria tabelts or is the risk of Malari so low that its not needed? Im going in mars

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria

Check with your own doctor.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria

In general there are only few strains of Malaria in SE Asia, so risk is low. However it pays out to contact the local operator and ask them if there is any Malaria at all. If there is, and if you want to be on the safe side you can take "Malarone" 1 day before and 7 days after your trip to the area. The drug is highly effective, and I have never experience side effects from it. Best cure though is prevention ie do not get mosqito bites, buy the local repellant and bring a mosquito-net treated with repellant. Enjoy your trip!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria

There are several anti malarial medications. Some have side effects with some people, some don't. Like all medications they may have a detrimental effect if you are taking any others for any reason. This is why I said ask your own doctor. Do not take advice from non medical people or people that don't know your medical history.

I use an anti malarial when I go into Jungle ares in Sabah and the one I use was selected after consultation with my doctor.

Sure, be smart and use a good insect repellent if not allergic to any of its constituents.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria

Depends on what you class as a risk, after all, you only need to get bitten once.

5. Re: malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 02:16