We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip report to Sabah

Queenstown NZ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
My trip report to Sabah

I have just returned from 10 days in Sabah. I rented a car and stayed in an apartment in KK called Penthousekk it was great it is owned by a Kiwi couple and they rent it out as a holiday home and what a flash one it is, got a great deal on the price for it to, very large has computer on broadband unlimited use, large LCD TV kitchen dining room bar and a fantastic sea view and the big plus is its location right in down town KK 11/12th floors.

When there I drove to Labuan took my car across on the ferry to Labuan stayed the night in Waterfront hotel had a good look around the island bought some duty free beer and returned to Sabah next morning then drove to Temon to buy some of the coffee they are famous for growing and roasting. I wanted to put the car on the train from Beaufort to Tenom but the railway has not opened since a slip came down. Then drove back though the mountains to KK this was a long day but had a lot of stop to take photos of the country side.

The apartment is service each day by Lucy and she loaned me a GPS to use and this was fantastic for getting to places and back, drove up to Mt Kinabalu as a day trip 1.50 hours from KK to the park did some walks took photos and returned to KK. Next day drove to the tip of Borneo this was a full day lunch in Kadut very interesting little town the GPS had the whole trip marked in it plus all the good places to go and see and stop at.

Eating out in KK is one of the best parts of staying there the food is delicious and so many types of restaurants I found one in Api Api centre just behind the apartment call Kababyan Filipino cuisine just magic food and cheap most mains around 12RM, also you must go the Office Pub to met some of the locals. The water front is just across the road lined with bars and restaurants great place to watch the sun set over a cold beer. The cheapest place to buy beer there is the Cock and Bull. A visit to Wismar square you will find Hong Kong Recipes I had lunch there at least 4 time during my stay great food and fast service. For those of you that stay out of town you miss so much of the food and night life, night markets and the fish market is well worth a visit to here at 6 AM is very interesting seeing the boats unload and sort the fish.

All in all a great country lovely people cheap to get around a rental car a must plus a GPS then you can’t get lost eating out and the climate is nice.

I shell return soon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip report to Sabah

How did you find the apartment? Is it for rent to anyone? We (2 mature ladies)are looking to go to Sabah in January.

Can u let me know?

Mezoz

Queenstown NZ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip report to Sabah

Hi

Yes they have a web site www.penthousekk.com it would be a great place for the 2 of you

Kent, uk
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip report to Sabah

Hello,glad you enjoyed your trip, we are going for 2 weeks in February and are interested in hiring a car for the duration, what are the current costs for small no fuss car?Is insurance included? We hired a car and driver and went with the car to Tenom about 4 years ago a great trip so sad you did not make that. Hope to do that again.

Will go onto that website re the apartment next

Many thanks for tips and advice.....

Queenstown NZ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip report to Sabah

Hi Smiffy

I hire my car a Viva from KK Leisure from the airport just when you come out to the greeting area they have an office there, I would not go for a smaller car you need one with a bit of grunt this would be ideal for the 2 of you. Cost can vary my one was 150RM total per day BUT remember when you get the car there will only be 2LTS in the tank as all companies supply their car empty so first stop is for petrol there are 2 on the way into KK. Yes check out the apartment great place and the GPS is a must to find your way around quick and easy.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip report to Sabah

Hi,

Rent & drive - approx RM150 for Proton wira / satria (larger than Viva / saga) & RM90 for perodua kancil. Better to rent a car from KK city centre rather than at the airport.

Another option is to rent a car with driver rather than without driver as it's not much different. Normally a car rental with driver will cost around RM200 / day (they will work for 10 hours a day. for additional hours just ask them for some tips & mostly they will be more than happy to do that). All inclusve for a rental within KK area.

If outside KK area, gasoline, driver meals & accomodation (if required) will be renter cost. This service is normally by a smaller private company who operates homestay, that is why it's very small different than hiring a car (w/o driver) at the airport. If you check, it's only about RM50 different. What you get for this extra RM50?

1. No need to drive thus you can enjoy the beautiful scenery or sleep?

2. You'll not miss any other attraction as they'll know better.

3. save your time to ask around about your destination.

4. More destinations can be visited as they know better etc.

regards

Netherlands
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip report to Sabah

Hello,

I read your advice about hiring a car with driver. We (a couple) are interested in renting a car with driver during our stay in Sabah from May 5th (arrival airport KK) till May 11th/12th (departure airport Sandakan) . How can we get in touch with a good driver (and car).

vendb, the Netherlands

7. Re: My trip report to Sabah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 07:05
8. Re: My trip report to Sabah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 08:17