We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

Is there any place in KK or nearby where I can pet and/or feed the orangutans?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

Not unless you are a volunteer in a centre, no. As they are trying to re-habilitate them back into the wild. You don't get that close, and you are not allowed to feed or pet.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

The closest you can view from kk is at rasa ria resort.. otherwise it'll be a trip to sepilok where the orang utan rehabilitation center is.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

I Don't think you'll find that in Sabah.

As TMitch mentioned places like Rasa Ria and Sepilok are there for the rehabilitation of orphaned Orang Utans.

Last year there were only half a dozen young ones in Rasa Ria but it was amazing, the shortest hour of my life.

One of them wanted so much to play and with the ranger not willing to oblige he came over to the deck to check us out.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

Hi, Im going to Borneo in March 11, do you have to be a resident in Rasa Ria to see the orangutans or can you just go on a day trip there?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

The Orang Utan sanctuary at Rasa Ria is opened to everyone.

One advise would be to book in advance to avoid disappointment, it is quite popular and from KK it is a 50 minutes drive.

I went to the morning tour, 9h30 AM which is good as it is not so hot, especially in the "small jungle" where it is very humid.

Do not forget Mozzie repellent.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

To see how to book the Orangs at Rasa Ria read the FAQ on that topic on the top right of the page.

----------------------------------->>>>>>>

Edited: 29 December 2010, 22:24
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

Go to the rasa ria, you will not be disappointed. I agree with the 10:00 feed as it is so hot. The mozzies are really bad too. We stayed for 2 hours. Also, I noticed that as we were leaving the ranger was waiting at the entrance with a baby orangutan for guests who had paid extra and I am pretty sure it was to do with feeding them. Our kids got up really close to the baby and the ranger didn't mind. Rasa ria also do a ranger for the day experience for kids and teens. They are so wonderful even iF you don't get to touch one

Edited: 06 February 2011, 03:38
8. Re: Anywhere in KK to pet or feed orangutans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu