We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving arround kk

scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
diving arround kk

any good close by dive site,s getting sick of long boat trips..

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving arround kk

Please read this link. There was discussion on this topic a few days ago

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k419…

Also if you type diving in the search box at the top of this page you will find a lot more posts.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving arround kk

Hi DDAA,

are you staying at Rasa Ria? If yes, i highly suggest for you to go for a dive at Mantanani Island.

Its merely 30mins away by car & 40mins away by boat.

I have been there 3 times, 2 times diving & 1 time snorkeling, the experience is pretty amazing! All the colourful corals, starfishes, Giant Clams.. Aside from Sipadan Island (which is always no. 1 in my list), Mantanani island would come second from the places i have dived in.

Enjoy!

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: diving arround kk

If you are sick of long boat trips then Mantanani is NOT for you ! it can be very rough sea particularly coming back and will usually take at least an hour in calm sea one way, however the return can take up to 2 or more hours for the boat transfer only, It is an offshore island check the map. TARP is on the doorstep of KK City very convenient for dive operators in rough or calm sea as it has sheltered Islands and offers some good diving. There is an article on TARP out in Sport Diving magazine (Australia) this month should you wish to get a bit more info.

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diving arround kk

The TAR Park is literally on the city's doorstep, so you're looking a ten minutes by boat. Can't really beat that.

scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: diving arround kk

thanks once again ,, tarp seems to be ideal,,

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: diving arround kk

If you want to avoid long boat rides, then try Downbelow on Gaya Island in the TARP.

They have a dive station there, so surface intervals are spent at the dive station, with short boat rides to the surrounding dive sites, before returning to the dive centre.

Less boat time, more dive time.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: diving arround kk

hi,

we were thinking about the same thing!

however, can we get a ferry/boat on our own from kota beluk?

if so, what is the price for the ferry?

thx!!

scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: diving arround kk

cheers that sound,s perfect. cheers.

9. Re: diving arround kk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:17