We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt - Access to the beach?

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Is there a local swimming beach in proximity to the Hyatt in KK? Thinking about booking in August/Sept.

Any views appreciated.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

There is no swimming beach anywhere near the Hyatt. It is on the foreshore in the city and there is no beach. If you want a good swimming beach you need to go to a resort out of town such as Nexus or Rasa Ria. There are small man made beaches at Sutera Harbour ( Pacific & Magellen) but that is a 10 - 15 minute taxi trip from the Hyatt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Many thanks for the reply.

We hear that the renovations at the Hyatt have been well done. WOuld getting a taxi to and from beaches be a problem? Worst case scenario we can just use the pool.

Is the Hyatt in a good location for sightseeing generally (accepting that tours might be a necessity for some stuff).

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Nexus and Rasa Ria are 30 minutes plus by taxi from the Hyatt. Rasa Ria and Sutera Harbour run shuttle busses at a fee. There is a pick up point at Wisma Merdeka next to the Hyatt. Just walk straight through the Mall to the pick up point.. The Hyatt is right in the city and there will be no trouble with walking the city and foreshore. Tour pick up will not be a problem as there will be a tour desk in the hotel. There are also a number of tour agencies straight acrross the road from the shuttle bus pick up point.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Hi baswitzer,

I am not sure whether you could visit other resort beaches without being their in house guests, i am sure for Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort,the resort area is restricted only for in house guests.

My suggestion,go to the nearby TARP island to enjoy the beach,among the 5,Manukan has one of the best beach among the 5 islands!

Or.. Stay a night or two at the beach resort,Nexus Karambunai or Rasa Ria Resort. Both resorts lie along the same beach. Nexus room rate has an entry level of RM460,Rasa Ria is about RM650 per night? Depends what room category & what season you are visiting. August is a peak season,so there will be a peak seasom surcharge implemented,about RM120-RM150 a night.

Have fun!

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Hi baswitzer

If you prefer to stay at Hyatt, the best option is to visit Manukan or Sapi Island (TARP) which takes less than 15 minutes to walk to the jetty at Jesselton Point. The boat ride will only take approximately 15-20 minutes for a long day of relaxation at the beach. It's good to stay at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria too but I'm afraid that the place is too far from the city, in case you have the intention to spend more time at Kota Kinabalu.

Regards

Will

www.borneotravelblog.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

I am sort of torn at the moment because I would really enjoy a break on the beach for a few days to just veg out and regroup a bit but I would really like to go to KK. Hmm. The other options would be either Kuantan or Langkawi. Anyone comment on Kuantan at all as a swimming and cultural destination?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

I wouldn't classify Kuantan as a swimming destination. Ocean plunges in deep after the beach and strong wave action especially during the monsoon months. Every year we read of a few local kids drowning. But if you just want to veg out on the beach it should be okay.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Many non guests use the facilities at Rasa Ria. Most of these are those that have been to see the Orang U Tan but not all. i believe the beach is a public beach, not owned by the resort so it is open to anyone to use. There are very few people, other than those using the resort on the beach as there is not much else with frontage to the beach. Nexus does not share the same beach as the resorts are 5 km apart in a straight line and there is a estuary/river mouth separating the beaches of the resorts.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

Depending on how long you have, I would stay 2-3 days at Rasa Ria, enjoy the beach, and the orang-utans there, and spend the rest of your time at the Hyatt. We spent 8 nights at Le Meridien in March, but Hyatt hadn't finished renovating then. Rasa Ria is a VERY long way out of town. The Hyatt is convenient for all tour pick ups, going to islands, any shopping and best of all, eating out at a variety of places, and cheaper places too.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt - Access to the beach?

If you wish to simply laze at a beach resort without the frills, there are 2 decently priced beach resorts just 1/2-hour drive from Kota Kinabalu, 20 mins from KKIA.

Check out Langkah Syabas www.langkahsyabas.com.my/ (Western orientated rustic resort)

and

Borneo Paradise tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1510614-d15079… (native Kadazan-style)

Full food service at LS, basic at BP. Otherwise, get into town for full options.

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu