We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Kinabalu scam?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Mt Kinabalu scam?

Hello I will be visiting in August by myself and really wanted to make the kinabalu climb but was trying to make accomadations, as this is only 2 months away. I found a company that said they would charge me 1450 rmb for the climb, the permit, the guide, 1 night's stay, and food. i thought this seemed extremely high based on what i've been reading. can anybody please advise?

has anybody actually ever NOT been able to get lodging by walking in last minute and been turned away from the climb? thank you!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

Yes, people have been turned away. Before we went in September 2009, I read a lot of online travelblogs to help with planning our trip and people did comment on not being able to climb as they hoped they could get a last minute cancellation. A few did but quite a few had to wait a couple of days or else had to move on and forget about the mountain climb.

We booked through divedownbelow - maybe try with them or some of the other companies which come recommended on this forum such as wildlife expeditions.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

A bit of research shows these companies have packages cheaper than the one you have.

www.wildlife-expeditions.com/z-index.php…

www.oibtours.com/tour.php?v=product&puid=1

divedownbelow.com/sabah-travel-centre/…

All have as good reputation.

They will have accomodation places reserved.

If you go to the park headquarters,without booking accomodation, in hope of getting a cancellation or that rooms may be available, it is unlikely that you will be lucky. There is very limited accomodation on the mountain and it need to be booked well in advance.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

Hi lizzy2435,

The 1450rmb stated is in Ringgit Malaysia or China Ren Min Bi? If its Ren Min Bi then its about RM750 which is about right,for a 1 night package.

There is a chance for you to get a place after you have arrived,as others have suggested,IF there is a last min cancellation. August is a very peak season,there is a few big groups coming for the climb,booking in advance is highly recommended.

Nickie

San Diego...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

Thanx everyone. The listed price was in Malaysian. I think bc I'm traveling alone, the prices are getting raised quite a bit :-( does anyone have advice for doing it last minute? Ie should I call, just show up, and at what time is best? Thank you!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

Advice on leaving it to the last minute has been given by both myself and Sabah_Girl. Basically it is don't as you will likely miss out, especially in August. My advice is book well in advance if you want to be sure of tghe climb.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

You have been given very good advise ! I hear a lot of comments saying Mt K is expensive to climb but compared to other mountains around the world it is still cheep.

Enjoy your climb it is well worth it

HCMC, VN
Level Contributor
26 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

I plan to do my own trip. Just make accomodation by email to info@suterasanctuarylodges.com. 1 night at Laban Rata for July quoting 522 RM (RM 415.00 per person + 100.00per person climbing permit + RM 7.00per person insurance). Not include: Entrance Fee to Kinabalu Park, Return shuttle Park to Timpohon gate, Mt.Guide and Certificates. It's a dorm bed. All Room heater and hot shower are not available during this period.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

Vibi- when did you contact them? I emailed them directly and was told I had to buy the 3d2n package for much higher cost!

1cm
malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

i went there last year Sept....2D1N, only RM489..not include guide fees...but is only RM100 for 1 guide..the night befoe we start climb, we stay at grace hostel that include in the package...although is dorm room, but is realy nice...can fight with those star hotel...even the toilet, is well designed...me is last minute book, around 2month before...i have frenz, they did book half year ago...is comon, so last minute is realy depends on luck as they have limit people up to the hill and limit hotel at laban rata

enjoy ur trip...is realy a nice place even though u didnt climb and only stay at KK national park~~u can feel it~~

10. Re: Mt Kinabalu scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu