We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hi all

I'm just wondering if we should go to Lok Kawi and see a variety of animals instead of going to Rasa Ria.

How many orangutans do you see and will be be crowded? Is it worth going? My kids have seen orangutans before and I am not sure we want to go all the way for this unless its very special.

Am thinking the kids may enjoy Lok Kawi more with a larger variety of animals? Any thoughts from families with kids who have gone.

Also, recommendation for places to eat near Tanjung Aru in particular, lovely seafood restaurants and food courts or hawker style places with malaysian style food will be great !

Thanks all!!

Cheers

Cheers

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hi bugsy12,

The last time i went to Lokawi Wildlife Park, the Orang Utan section was closed for maintenance.

When do you wish to visit? I could check it out for you.

Lokawi is quite a nice place for kids, as you say, your kids will get to see other animals too (i.e. Proboscis Monkey, Malay Bear, Malay Tiger).

For the food around Tanjung Aru, check out this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k382…

Enjoy Sabah!

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

I guess if your kids are young then yes, Lok Kawi might have its attraction, because of the variety of animals there.

But in the end, it's still a zoo and some of the encampments are downright depressing.

As for food - Tanjung Aru's first beach has a hawker complex which offers all the popular local foods like satays, BBQ chicken wing, nasi and mee goreng, etc. There's also a very impressive array of juices to be had. A must try is the legendary Mango Smoothy from specifically Stall No. 6.

There's plenty of seafood around - the ones in town are a bit touristy, so if you're lucky enough to go to one in the suburbs, grab the chance.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hello all thanks for your helpful posts.

Nickie, we plan to go in mid July. I hope the orang utan enclosures are not closed... its very very nice of you to help us find out.

Cheers

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

I stayed at Rasa Ria and also went to Lokowi we all enjoyed Lokawi but the Orangutans at Rasa Ria was more special we ended up going 3 times,We only saw 3 orangutans .You get to spend 1 hour on a viewing platform where you watch them play and eat they come really close infact Reggie grabbed my hand One tip stay till the end some leave early and you can miss loads if yoy do leave.

At the end one of the rangers brings a baby out for you to look at ,you can always combine it with a canapy walk.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hi Cats195..

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am definitely re-thinking we should go to Rasa Ria to see the orangutans based on what you said. 3 orangutans does not seem a big number but I am assuming its the personal touch of being around them and getting some close personal face time as opposed to a zoo....would you recommend the morning or afternoon sessions..

Cheers

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Hi We went to both and they was both as good as each other the morning was cooler so prob enjoyed that a bit more.

It really was a great experiance so much nicer seeing them eating and playing and not through the bars of a cage please make sure you stay till the end.

Reggie is the naughty one and a couple of times came on the platform.

We took loads of great photos

The rangers are great if you see Zeno or Leslie or Fitri anna please say Hi from Vicki Hallam and family tell them we said they are still peng(it became a joke between us)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Thanks Vicki - I am now very keen to go to Rasa Ria ! Sounds fun.

Have put this as my Day 2 trip to go.. I will give a call out to the rangers and pass on your message when I see them. Thanks again.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Don't forget that, due to limited numbers, you will have to book in advance to see the Orang U Tan at Rasa Rai. For information on how to book see the FAQ under Top Questions on the right of this page.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

We've just got back from a week at Rasa Ria and the Orang Utan's there were amazing. As said above, Reggie is a bit of a character and does tend to enjoy acting up to the visitors! We stayed on the platform until the very end, when most others had gone back down and it was well worth it as Reggie came onto the trail - you get to see them up very close.

We went twice- morning and afternoon. The afternoon visit was our favourite but that was because Reg and Katie were already waiting for us on the way up!

I did notice it said maximum party was 70, but the hotel was apparently only 40% occupied and so there was a maximum of 30 people both times we went.

Obviously I can only comment on Rasa Ria so can't compare to the other place.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lok Kawi vs Rasa Ria Orang utans, Malaysian Food pls

Thanks BigW and Scruffywuffy - looks like we are definitely seeing the orangutans ........we will skip Lok Kawi for now. Can't wait and thanks for all the very very helpful comments!