We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

I have been trying to choose between Le Meridien and Promenade Hotel. The Promenade Hotel is considerably cheaper, so I like the idea of it from that point, yet I have read a few bad reviews about the state of the rooms. Has anyone here been there? I'm not looking for luxury, but am just looking for a clean comfortable room. Thank you!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Have you had a look at TA Traveller reviews under Kota Kinabalu hotels on the left of this page?

Edited: 01 June 2011, 04:26
Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Thanks bigw - yes I have read the reviews, and that was why I posted here. I've seen photos of the rooms and they looked lovely, yet saw many bad reviews on the TA Traveller Reviews. I guess I was wondering if people were giving bad reviews expecting a 4 star hotel in KK to be the same as a 4 star hotel in Australia (or whatever country they are from), or whether there really is a problem with this hotel. I usually stay at 3 star hotels in Australia, so I'm not looking for luxury - just a clean, safe room as I am travelling alone.

I know Le Meridien will be nice, yet it is almost three times the price, so I wanted to get someone's opinion as to whether the Promenade Hotel is a reasonable alternative.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi peekOe

Have just stayed at the promenade hotel in KK.

Its a fairly decent hotel for the price. Well actually a bit better than I thought it would be.

Although the Le Meridien is in a far better location, the price, well it was a bit much. You can go to their web page and become a member. You get some better deals. But at the time we were travelling there, they didnt have any great specials on. But they have had "stay 3 pay 2nights" or stay 5 pay 4, etc.

My problem with the Promenade is the location. Hubby wasnt well and he found walking to / from a bit hard going. You cant just pop out to shops/dinner as its at least a 10/15 min to the nearest whatever. We found we did a lot of walking, more than we wanted to.

We found the staff were always friendly and helpful.

But if you are well and dont mind walking, the hotel for the price is a great deal. We even got airport pickup/dropoff included in a special.

I never did a review for this hotel, as I was worried that hubby being sick, might have put a negative spin on our experience. And it wasnt the hotels fault he was sick.

Would I stay there again, not sure, but I do know one thing for sure, I wouldnt pay Le Meridien prices, esp after hearing from a friend who just stayed there, what her experience was, not for that price anyway. I think you really are paying for the location.

I dont expect to receive 5* treatment when I am only paying for 3 or 4*.

But I do expect to receive 5* treament when I am paying for 5*.

Yes the rooms are clean, and we always felt safe in KK, well the car drivers are a bit of a worry. Seems that they have no concept of road rules.

But if I was on my own, I wouldnt be walking that stretch of road by myself at night, the seaside of the hotel, as we were usually the only ones there.

At the back of the hotel, is a covered walkway that goes from Opposite Centrepoint (shopping centre) past Marina Court and Promenade, we usually walked that way at night as there was always lots of other peops walking. Just felt a bit safer, but was a bit more of a walk, as we would usually eat at the hawkers at night that were on the on the foreshore.

Have fun as KK is lovely.

Cheers. Danuta.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi Danuta,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed reply! I really appreciate it, and it's great to hear from someone who has stayed at the hotel. Thank you very much for the tip of the best way to walk back at night - that is really helpful! I think your review has convinced me to stay there. It seems like a good central location, and I was happy to read your comment that the rooms are clean. Thank you again for such a great reply! I hope you're having a wonderful holiday.

Cheers, Michelle

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Michelle,

There are are good 3-star hotels in the city centre, too. My single lady friends love Best Western's Kinabalu Daya, situated directly opposite Wisma Merdeka (shopping complex), Diagonally opposite Wisma Sabah, where many tour agents have their offices. Hyatt is next to Wisma Merdeka. Online booking is available, which saves me from having to book for them each time they visit from overseas.

Being in the centre of town, you'll have many choices of both local coffeeshops, or an Italian (pasta) cafe. Another Italian a couple of roads away at Jesselton Hotel, which is a rustic colonial hotel. A supermarket is about 150m down the road, too.

Finally, a new cafe/bar called El Centro is just a few doors away.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi peek0e,

for a single lady, i personally recommend Jesselton Hotel, it's the best boutique hotel in town, and i believe the rates are cheaper than Promenade. I have just stayed in Promenade last month, stay in one of the Deluxe Executive Suite, a little disappointed with its under maintenance room. As what Danuta has mentioned, you pay what you get.

But i high recommend Jesselton Hotel, its the first hotel in Sabah, worth lots of historical value, nice rooms, good location. Walking distance to Wisma Merdeka (Money changers that offer good rates), next block to Sabah Tourism, walking distance to Jesselton Point Jetty, many food outlets around.

Nickie

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Thank you so much to both hpvl and to Nickie for your responses! Last night after reading through countless threads on here, I ended up booking Citidel Express (actually after your recommendation in some other threads Nickie :))

Unfortunately I booked it before I read either of your suggestions of the Best Western or Jesselton Hotel.

It just seemed like a good location as I was a little worried about the safety factor of the Promenade area at night after a couple of posts I'd read, and as a single woman walking around at night, I wanted to be in a busy area. I hope I've made the right decision!

Thank you so much everyone for your help. This is such a great forum, and I promise to post reviews of everywhere I stay when I get back.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi peek0e,

Cititel is a great choice,good value. Thought you wanted something 4 stars hence i suggested Jesselton Hotel in my earlier post.

Have fun!

Nickie

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi Nickie,

Thank you for the reassurance, and I probably didn't word my first message very well. I just wanted somewhere clean and comfortable and central - I don't care about how many stars.

Thank you for all your great posts on this forum! I've got so much good advice from your posts in many threads that I've read.

Cheers,

Michelle

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any information on the Promenade Hotel?

Hi Michelle,

Glad i could help! Please ask if you need more help!

Enjoy Sabah!

Nickie

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu