We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

We are thinking of coming to KK next year but want to make sure there is plenty of things to do to keep the kids entertained?

I am looking for options of either relaxing by the pool or beach or choice of family friendly activities/sightseeing.

A must do is to visit the Orangutangs - where is the best place to experience this? (but somewhere that is not too far to travel with the kids!)

Also, is there a better time of year to travel for the weather & also when it is cheaper???

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

Hi Becstar21,

Shangri-La's Rasa Ria sounds right for your family, they have an orang utan sanctuary in the resort itself, long sandy beach & friendly staff.

Another option would be Nexus Spa Suite/Pool Villa, it has a 1 km long sandy beach, private villas, Kitchen facilities to do some simple cooking. It is also well equipped with private Sauna & In Room Jacuzzi.

Personally, i love the Pool Villas. Watching the sunrise from the masterbedroom is amazing!

If you have 1 day to spare, i strongly recommend for you to do a day trip to Sandakan, the experience is really amazing!

You kids will get the chance to be up close with the Proboscis Monkey at Labuk Bay, visit the Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre, have a tea at our Well-known and histoirical English Tea House, visit the local temples, etc.

Avoid Peak Season, where you could safe some bucks from paying the Peak Season Surcharge. The Peak Seasons in Sabah are, Summer (15th July - 31st August), Winter (21st December-6th January), and also Chinese New Year Season (it normally falls on either January or February).

Have a great time in Sabah!

Nickie

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

Rasa Ria really looks after kids with a wonderful kids club and nature reserve activities. To see more information look under Top Questions on the right for activities and Nature activities (including Orang U Tan).

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

And look at www.kidsinkk.com too

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

Thanks for the tips guys.......

Sabah Girl - do you drive or fly to Sandakan??

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

Hi Becstar21,

You can drive or fly,by road it takes about 5-6 hours,by flight it takes about 45mins.

With kids,i suggest flying. It save up some time traveling,hence you get more time in Sandakan.

You can take up a day trip package which includes knowledgeable guide & driver. They will show you the beauties of Sandakan in a day.

Cheerz,

Nickie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

I would stongly recommend the Rasa Ria. We stayed there last year with our 5yr old and loved it. They catered so well for kids, fabulous pool area and the kids club was amazing. Yes, it is isolated but it didn't worry us at all, we only went outside the hotel once in 7 days ! I did a post/JBR on it when we got back in the forum, if you can't find it let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Have a wonderful time planning - it's half the fun !

Sue-Ellen

7. Re: Kota Kinabalu with young kids 7 & 9 - hotels & things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:18