We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info needed on KK Trip with Brunei stopover

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Info needed on KK Trip with Brunei stopover

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu, with a stopover in Brunei on the way home, in Dec this year. I am new to the forum and have read some past posts that indicate some things that I'd like to clarify. We were hoping to go to Jerudong Park whilst we are in Brunei as we are travelling with children. It had been noted that this park isn't what it used to be and some rides are shutting down. I wonder if someone could please verify this for me??? Is it worth still going to the park or not? The kids were really looking forward to it and don't want to go if it's not worth it. Any other helpful info on visiting Brunei for a stopover would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Info needed on KK Trip with Brunei stopover

I live in Brunei before moving back here.Jerudong park has lost much of it's hey day.The park fee is Sin$10 for unlimited rides.Maintainence of the park is not very good and nearly 30% of some rides are close. If you go weekend then you can try out more rides.Anyway there is nothing much to do at night in Brunei so a visit there is still worth it as it transform itself into a fairy land of lights

You can go for a trip at the water village.One round will cost you around Sin$20.(approx.40mins)Singapore dollars can be used there and vice versa for Brunei dollars can be use in Sin. The best place hotel there is the Empire Hotel(8 mins away from Jerudong Park) with big man-made sandy pool overlooking the South China Sea.There is also an 18-hole golf course. They usually have some promotion packages on the room due to it's low occupancy.So check out the website.

http://www.empire.com.bn/

Getting around the city ,look for the purple metered taxi.If you decide to take the public bus(also purple), a ride anywhere will cost u B$1.00.The town is very small and the biggest mall is in Gadong area which is the commercial hub of Brunei.

Enjoy your trip!Hope it helps.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Info needed on KK Trip with Brunei stopover

Hi VMY2007,

Thanks for the quick reply. We are planning on staying at the Empire on our visit to Brunei so it was great to hear your favourable comments. Just on Jerudong Park again - will we be able to get a meal there if we go at night time? How much will it cost, approximately? Thanks so much again for your time. Kind regards.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Info needed on KK Trip with Brunei stopover

there are some local stalls there just near the car park area.Nothing fancy over there just some malay and thai food. A meal will cost you around AUD4 for a plate of noodles or fried rice.Don't worry it is not expensive at all.

The hotel provide free shuttle service to Jerudong Park if I am not mistaken and during the weekend, there is a musical fountain.Entrance is B$4 (3 years ago,not sure how much it is right now).You can email Empire hotel for more info on the park.I am sure they will be able to give you a more latest information on the park. I would suggest you go during the weekend coz more rides will be open then.

The pool at the hotel is very big and empty most of the time.So I am sure your kids will enjoy the pool very much. There is also a cineplex withing the hotel compound. You can also have coff/tea overlooking the golf course or have dim sum at the Chinese restaurant in Empire.

Request for room upgrade(they usually comply if the occupancy is low).

You can make a day trip to Ulu Temburong for the canopy walk and swim in the river at the Borneo jungle. It is a bit pricey though around Aud$100 for a full day trip with lunch.

We also did a jet-ski trip to an island ,20 mins away which is under the Malaysian Gov. where you can just drop by for it's famous chicken wing and B$1.00 beer.You can enquire from hotel.Many expats go to this island during the weekend for some drinking, sailing and diving.

*if you want to bring in alcohol since Brunei is a Muslim country and totally 'dry', non-muslim can bring in 2 litres of wine/spirit and 12 cans of beers.Must declare it on the custom declaration form at the custom.YOu can consume it in private and not in public area*

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu