We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

I am thinking of booking a holiday to Borneo with our three young children (nearly 2,4 and6) in January. I was initially interested in Langkawi, but we would like to have a few more experiences than just resort/relaxing.

We have never really stayed in big hotels/resorts before, but I am interested in staying somewhere with a pool/play area for the kids.

Any recommendations on accomodation that is not the 'top end'?

Also what day trips would be good for the kids?

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Hi,

What is your budget like?

Nickie

Adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

A travel agent here in Australia just quoted me 2028 AUD for the Hyatt Regency, for 1 room incl breakfast.

I wouldnt mind keeping it down a bit. On the other hand, I would want to consider 2 rooms (connected perhaps), so the room price might have to drop considerably to stay between the AUD$1500-2300 total. We have previously mainly stayed in self contained appartments (I have always been very lucky finding nice places), in Bali, New Zealand, Spain. I like the idea of a little kitchen(ette) as the children are so young and they seem to always be hungry at different and odd times ;)

so basically for the accomodation I dont need top end, but am past budget/backpacking stage as well (I rather spend some extra money on seeing something interesting than on real luxury)

thanks!

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Hi travelwithkids,

The price you have mentioned is inclusives of return flights correct? For how many nights?

Maybe you can consider staying in Marina Court Serviced Apartment? It has 3 rooms with full kitchen utensils. It is located in the middle of town,has a nice swimming pool too!

It is priced at abour AUD120 per night for 1 unit.

For tour,you can consider takinf your kids for Klias River Cruise for fireflies & monkeys sighting, Papar White River Rafting which is great for family (your kids could try out Batik Painting & have a walk on our traditional Hanging Bridge too.

Nickie

Shanghai, Shanghai...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Hi! We are also thinking of going, but in the Chinese new year, late january-beginning of feb. What is the weather like then? Would you advice us to stay in two diffrent places in two weeks? If so, where should we go in addition to Kota Kinabalu? (We have two kids, 3 and 4)

/Molly.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Hi, welcome to TA.

There is an article on weather under TOP QUESTIONS on the right of this page and a lot of other information.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Hi Molly.

Feb is predicted to be end of Monsoon Season, but weather has been changing lately, so it is hard to say what it is like this coming Feb.

Anyway, as we have mentioned in other posts, even if it gets rainy, it will only last for a couple of hours and not the whole day, so do not worry about the weather, you can go for your tours.

Have your bought your flight ticket? If not, i would suggest to avoid Chinese New Year season, as there are Peak Season Surcharge for tours and hotels. Early February does sound good.

You can spend your 2 weeks spread over in Kota Kinabalu & Sandakan (if your kids enjoy wildlife & snorkeling).

Nickie

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

Take a look at Kids in KK, either their website or their facebook. https://www.facebook.com/KidsInKK

It's written by local parents and filled with child friendly suggestions.

8. Re: kota kinabalu with children (2,4,6) in Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 10:19