We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please from UK Travellers!

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Topic
Advice please from UK Travellers!

I am looking to book a twin centre holiday in February 2013 for my husbands birthday. We would like to stay in Kuala Lumpur for 3 nights and Kota Kinabalu for 7 nights.

My first question is to people from the UK who have done this trip before - which travel agent would you recommend, I have looked at Premier Holidays and Kuoni but would be grateful for recommendations.

My second question - we would like to stay at the Shangrila Rasa Ria, again I have priced this up on Kuoni, if I upgrade to half board can we dine in all the restaurants or only certain ones, thanks in advance !!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

Hi, We have travelled all over Asia, and have only ever gone with a travel company ( Kuoni) on our very first trip .It is so easy to book everything yourself, and alot cheaper.

Firstly book return flights to Kuala Lumpur, try opodo or netflights. Then book your hotel through a site like trivargo, asia rooms, booking .com, or agoda. Look at airasia, a budget airline that you can book the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabal return, this can be booked from uk, very easily, we have always found them very reliable.

We have stayed at the shangri la tanjung aru several times, and always booked it ourselves. The Rasa Ria is also v good, we have visited there from the tanjung aru. You can also get transfers from airport to hotels using train in KL, and taxi in KK. .

We have used all the companies i have mentioned, and have never had any problems, its much more fun booking it yourself, so much more choice ,and as i said before much cheaper.

I'm sure you will love KL and KK, KK ( sabah ) is one of our favourite places, there is so much to see and do there, including adventure sport, wildlife and beautiful islands.Contact me if you need anymore info.

Have fun

Suzi

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

Hi Suzi, thanks for taking the trouble to write such a thorough reply. I am certainly going to have a look at planning it myself now, Kuoni came out at almost £5000 for ten days for the two of us. I've never travelled to Asia before so was a but wary about booking things independently but you've made it sound so easy! Thanks again

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

Hi -

On our last trip to Malaysia (Dec 2011), we did Penang and KK - all done by ourselves. Flew in to Penang via Singapore Airlines. Then MAS to KK. We stayed at the Le Meridien but we booked through Amazing Borneo ( tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298307-… ) and we got a wonderful wonderful deal off them. Its worth checking out if they cover Rasa Ria as well.

Its not difficult doing everything yourself as its easy for English speaking travellers to get around.

Kuoni would give you a decent idea how to beachmark your trip but I always found it cheaper to do it myself at the end.

Hope this helps,

Rgds

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

Hi,

£5000 sounds very steep to me. We usually go for about 3.5 weeks, and spend less than that for 2 of us, and we stay in some pretty good places. I know prices have gone up alot recently, when we last stayed at the tanjung aru about 3 yrs ago ,it was far cheaper, had a shock when i saw the prices now, but we will def be going back there someday. Please don't be too wary about booking things, look at the reviews on tripadvisor before booking any where to stay.

Getting around in Asia is so easy, and nearly everyone speaks english.

Suzi

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

We have done trips like this both ways, sometimes you can get a better deal through a package especially with the rise in airfare taxes now so I always look at both options.

We did a similar trip this Feb. and actually got it around £200 per person cheaper by booking through Virgin Holidays. Ring them rather than looking online as they can arrange most things if the flight times fit, you also get all your transfers included in a package so if doing yourself make sure you take that into account.

The Rasa Ria is a fantastic hotel but quite pricey, we did bed and breakfast so could eat at any restaurant not sure if all are available on h/b, Coast may be an exception. If funds permit definitiley look at the Ocean wing rooms they are some of the best we have ever stayed in.

6. Re: Advice please from UK Travellers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:16