We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kota Kinabalu Trip

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Kota Kinabalu Trip

All,

We are going to be in Kotakinabalu between 3rd early morning and 5th afternoon as part of a larger Malaysia trip.

Given time is too short, I want to know what all are the "must do" while in Kotakinabalu.

Our key focus are the beaches. Hiking is out. We will be staying in the center of the city.

Please advise

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Just based on what I have read in the forum a few more questions:

1. Is there any way to book a evening city tour before we land up? pick up and drop off to hotel included.

2. Want to go to Tunku Rahman NAtional park for a day.

a. What islands are recomemnded and what are the most pristine [art of the islands?

b. What Snorkeling spots are recomemnded?

c. Can anyone do snorkeling or is there some certification required?

3. Is there any recommendation on what we can do in KK starting early in the morning and going into early afternoon?

a. Are cabs plenty and how do they charge?

b. Can we do orangotung rehang center?

c. how far and which one is recommended?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

1) If you Google the internet, you will find lots of travel agents that do city tours. Typically a city tour would take you to Signal Hill, Sabah Museum, a mosque, a buddhist temple, the Tun Mustapha building and the Filipino market.

2) You won't get pristine, the water is clear though despite the islands being close to the city. Anyone can do snorkelling, no certification needed. Contact an operator like Divedownbelow as they have their own lodge on Gaya island.

3a) Kota Kinabalu is a compact city, that is for the most part walkable.

3b) There is no Orangutan rehabilitation centre in Kota Kinabalu. The orang-utan centre is in Sepilok, near Sandakan, a town on the east coast of Sabah - a 5.5 hour drive away, or a short flight from KK.

3c) The Shangri-La Rasa Ria resort at Pantai Dalit, about 30 minutes drive north of KK does have an in-house nature reserve with orang-utans which you can visit but you need to book in advance.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Thanks for the response.

It looks like options 3a and 3c are out. We will have to do this in Kuching.

I hope Snorkeling can be a day trip?

What beaches do you recommend?

Is the polic beach open to public?

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Tunku Abdul Rahman (TAR) marine park is a cluster of islands comprising Pulau Gaya, Pulau Sapi, Pulau Manukan, Pulau Mamutik and Pulau Sulug, all only 10 – 20 minute speedboat ride from the city of Kota Kinabalu. The five islands of the Marine Park are characterized by shallow waters, sumptuous coral gardens and all boast splendid white sandy beaches.

You can do island hopping or go to just one of the islands. Snorkelling at Sapi or Manukan, can be done in a day trip

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Hi,

I would recomend UsukanCove for snorkeling.You can book this in a package that includes transfer,lunch :& snorkel.

Nope,Police Beach has been privatised. Only guests of Gayana Resort or Bungaraya Resort could utilise the beach & facilities. Anyway the sea current is strong at Police,not a good point for snorkeling.

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Hi,

I would recomend UsukanCove for snorkeling.You can book this in a package that includes transfer,lunch :& snorkel.

Nope,Police Beach has been privatised. Only guests of Gayana Resort or Bungaraya Resort could utilise the beach & facilities. Anyway the sea current is strong at Police,not a good point for snorkeling.

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Hi,

Nickie

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

How do I book for this? And what is the cost?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
68 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Hi

Just came back from Kota Kinabalu yesterday. Just like to share my experience there. We stayed at Cititel Express. Very convenient location- 15 minutes from airport ( taxi fare RM 30 ), surrounded by eateries and restaurants, coffee shops and the Star City Complex ( also known as Asia City Complex ) where Welcome Seafood Restaurant, (the cheapest seafood restaurant in KK ) is located,, is next to it.. We went snorkling at Sapi island ( did not see any fish there ) and Manukan island ( saw some colourful fish near the jetty ).. But going to Weston to watch the proboscis monkey and fireflies was a big mistake. The tour operator charged us RM 175 per person for transport, afternoon tea, Malay buffet dinner and the river cruise. There were about 12 proboscis monkeys on the trees quite far away. You will need a pair of binoculars. And there were hardly any fireflies. About an average of 5 on about 10 trees. The journey from KK to Weston took more than 2 hours.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 09:33
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

KK today. Can someone recommend a day trip to a good snorkeling destination with some beach?

Any contacts would be luvly

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu