We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

Hi All,

My partner and I have booked to stay at the Rasa Ria in early Jan next year. I'm hearing reports that the resort is rather isolated, and there is little opportunity to venture out slightly and sample other restaurants, bars, shops etc other than taking a 45 min taxi ride to KK.

How much of this rings true?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

Have a look at Top Questions on the right of the page. Your questions are answered there. You will need a real computer as they are not vivible on "so called" smart phones.

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

True and False.

Yes, location wise rather isolated, it is about 45 min to KK City center where the shops snd restos are located.

False, not really isolated cos a 10 min taxi ride will take you to 1Borneo where Sabah's largest mall is located. Here you will have everything to shop, no need to go to KK City center.

You have to weigh bet nice resort and in house attractions /amenities vs city convenience

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

I would agree with Awang but again 1Borneo isn't a place I would want to eat and shop if I am traveling across continent :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
276 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

Hi darren

we were in Malaysia in January and also were tossing up between Ras ria and Sutera harbour we picked Sutera and glad we did as we di go to Rasa Ria for Oranutans and saw how isolated it actually was we also went to Borneo1. Though it is your honeymoon resort is nice but if you want to get out and about maybe a bit far from things

Cumbria UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

We stayed at the Rasa Ria and it was fabulous, very relaxing and a break away from real life. But it is isolated, we just stayed there for a couple of nights then moved into KK to do the cultural bit.

guildford
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

You are along way away from things to shop eat at, gayang seafood is nearest,very pricey,put me off going back..? Shopping centres in kk very good good shops cheap restaurants in central ,Sabah & merdeka, Borneo 1 is out of town towards rasa ria.some really good bargain prices for designer clothes,good food in restaurant, get the shuttle coach,it's a lot cheaper than a taxi, & very punctual. Get some drinks before you go to the hotel as it is very pricey?Beware down by the harbour side near the shops sea gypsiy have been robbing tourists,we stayed away from that part & never had a problem.

Edited: 08 October 2012, 19:27
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

There are a couple of restaurants within 10 minutes of Rasa Ria in a taxi.. There are also 2 supermarkets in Tuaran Town which is 10 -15 minutes in a taxi. These restuarants, like Gyang are local restaurants so don't expect 5* service but the service will be firendly and helpful. Sure you nmight have trouble with the language but there will be someone who will speak english to some degree. Just have abit of patience. This information is under Top Questions on the right of the page and things to do on the left of the page.. In case you are using a "smart" phone here are links

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298307-i9429-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g298307-c88182/Kot…

Also the use of the name "Sea Gypsy" is incorrest. The Sea Gypsies are an indiginous Sabah Tribe "the Baju". The people around the sea side who occaisionally rob people are usually illegal immigrants from places other than Sabah.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 04:41
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

I agree with jkmoobs. Time in Kota Kinabalu is best split with some time in a 'downtown' hotel to do things like the islands, malls, museum, sunset at Tanjung Aru beach, yummy cheap eating in the Sarasan area or seafood trestles down near the markets. Then at Rasa Ria just settle in for the relaxation, with heaps of optional activities available, (a few free, most with a cost) and be prepared for the high dinner prices ... the buffets are 120MYR per head. The food is great! Lunch prices are pretty reasonable. It is not that far to KK but the traffic can be excruciatingly slow... if we had stayed longer we would have tried some of the restaurants in the Tuaran area.

The other Shangri La at Tanjung Aru is smaller but is much closer to KK (about 10 minutes and 20MYR in a cab) and there are some okay bars and restaurants at the public beach about 500m up from the resort. Splitting your time between the 2 resorts might be an option worth considering.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

Oops sorry, I meant the Sinsuran area, not Sarasan!

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
364 posts
755 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How isolated are you when staying at the Rasa Ria?

We were in the Tanjung Aru which was perfect for the facilities and access into KK. We did travel to Rasa Ria for the Orangutans and I did feel the distance we travelled was a fair bit. The resort seemed excellent though and I am sure you will enjoy their facilities.