We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday money

england
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
holiday money

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to take spending money to borneo we are staying at the tanjung aru kota kinabalu. is it best to take travellers cheques/ pounds sterling or malaysian ringitts any advice please. thanks karen.

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday money

Take pound sterlings with you plus your credit card. It is best to change yr pound sterling at a money changer in the city.

For a start you may need to change may be 100 pounds in the airport. Dont pay your hotel bill with sterling, the rates are very low.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 16:12
KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday money

More info here -

tripadvisor.com/…27790125

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday money

Hi Karen,

Take Credit Card & British Pound with you.

You can get good exchange rate at Wisma Merdeka in KK City Center.

For hotel, best is to pay with your credit card.

On top, ATM card is also recommended. Be sure you activate your card for International Withdrawal before you leave your country.

Travelers cheque isn't widely accepted here.

Nickie

england
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday money

Thanks for the advice it. is really helpful.

Thanks karen.

guildford
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday money

Try looking around the large shopping centres in kk,say central was good ,I looked at several money changers the amounts vary, so look at a few first, there are about 4 large shopping centres there,great for food & some bargain shopping.I changed 100 at the airport & the rest in kk,have a great trip, I got back today from kk.

6. Re: holiday money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:17