We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire flys

bigbum0204
Level Contributor
104 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Fire flys

Going to kk in April staying for 5 nights would love to see the fire flies whilst there..where do I go to see them and how much ...any recommendation welcome.

Any other trips we should do .

Thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire flys

Have a look at top questions on the right of the page. Lots of ideas for trips including fire flies. Not visible on a "smart" phone you need a real computer.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire flys

Hi bigbum0204,

I have tried both Klias & Weston Wetland Day trip, for fireflies watch, Weston Wetland is recommended.

bigbum0204
Level Contributor
104 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire flys

think we will give it a go. is there a good time to see them . we will be there in April

Edited: 24 October 2012, 04:09
Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire flys

Hi bigbum0204,

All year round is fine. There will be more of them if it gets a little rainy.

April should be fine.

Nickie

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire flys

am heading off to sabah next year also and planning to see fireflies at some point. Can i ask Nickie why you prefer the weston wetland over klias?? also do you know if there are abundant fireflies in kinabatangan?? many thanks :-)

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire flys

Hi kawoos,

There are more fireflies at Weston Wetland. Maybe the type of mangroves in Weston attracts more firefiles? I am not sure. But the fireflies at Weston really amazed me, felt like walking through a Christmas light tunnel.

But if you tend to see Proboscis Monkeys, then Klias would be a good choice.

Kinabatangan yes, but you gota find the right part of the river. I went to Sukau last year but i saw none. The boatman told me there are fireflies in Abai. Where it is only few or abundant of them, i am not sure. Best is to check with the resort or lodge you booked with.

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire flys

Just my two cents. I too would vouch for Klias (or even Gerama) over Weston simply because of the abundant fireflies as it is part of the eco system itself. For Kinabatangan, fireflies are generally easily spotted, most notably around the Ox bow lake area.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire flys

By the way, for those going only to the Malayan mainland and not Borneo, you can also see fireflies in West Malaysia!

We enjoyed a stellar river cruise among the fireflies from Kota Tinggi, near the coast 75 km northeast of Johor Bahru.

For those not familiar with fireflies from this part of the world, they're not the kind that wink on and off for brief periods like North American fireflies. These lights stay on steadily, making patterns along the river bank that look like constellations. (That's why I described our firefly cruise with the word "stellar.")

They aren't like Christmas lights, but much finer and more point-like than a light bulb. They also come in just one color, pure white. Unlike glow worms found in caves, you'll get to see under a dark sky the real stars as well as the firefly lights.

David

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire flys

thanks nickie & others i'm sure bigbum is now deliberating options. sometimes i find the more info you find on places the more difficult the decision becomes! weston vs klias????????

10. Re: Fire flys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:17