We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Location in Kota Kinabalu

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saudi Arabia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best Hotel Location in Kota Kinabalu

Myself and my wife are due to go to Borneo in June but are undecided as to which hotel to stay in. We are looking for a hotel in a good location with a close proximity to the towns markets and of course all the attractions. Can anyone recommend a suitable hotel.

We would like to climb Mount Kinabalu, see the orangutans, White water rafting, National Parks and Snorkelling.

Please help!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel Location in Kota Kinabalu

If you are looking to explore and/or do tours then your best choice is between two hotels, the Tanjung Aru or the Magellan/Pacific Sutera.

The Tanjung Aru is 10 minutes by taxi from town and the airport, (opposite directions) and the other is 5 minutes from town and 15 from the airport.

My favourite has always been the Tanjung Aru but it is very much a personal thing.

All tours pick up from all hotels but it would add an addittional 40 minutes BOTH ends of most tours if you stayed at the other resorts North of KK.

With the first two you would also have instant access, (via boat), to the five island marine park as well as various choices of local 'eateries' within walking distance from the TA.