We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do In KK

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
435 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
What to do In KK

Hi, we're off to KK in June, staying at Rasa Ria for 5 nights, any ideas of things to do in KK if we spend a few hours there? Thanks

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do In KK

You could take the steam train to Papar, worth it just to see all the local people smiling & waving as you go by

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do In KK

Have a look at my posting for Needhelp.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do In KK

I'm not sure how old you are but the Whitewater Rafting was great and also the Canopy bridges at Mt. Kinabalu were really great too!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do In KK

Our first visit to Sabah was 17 nights long and we only managed about a third of the things that we wanted to do and have consequently been back many times since!

Being based out of town at the Rasa Ria you will not have much time to do many excursions unless you never want to experience the luxury and facilities of the hotel, which would be a shame. White water rafting, which my partner and I participate in on every visit, is a long day out and climbing the mountain is an overnight tour. Visiting Turtle Island is another overnighter from Sandakan but you could visit Sepilok in a day if you wished, although the Rasa Ria has its own nature reserve with 5 babies at all times.

My advice would be to chill out, learn about all the things you can do for your next visit and in the meantime possibly consider the following:

Visit the islands opposite KK for a day out snorkling, barbecuing and beach bumming, observing the monkeys and 4 foot monitor lizards.

Take a tour of the sights of KK and visit the museum which has a culteral village recreation.

Spend an evening eating out at Sedco Square.

Contact the KK tourist information in KK to find out where the nearest 'blooming' Raffelesia is, (the biggest flower in the World), then take a taxi to see it.

The KK tourist shop is an absolute gold mine of information and carries leaflets for every kind of tour, trip, hotels, restaurants, for organised groups and individuals, you will be positively amazed at what you never knew you could do!