We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to economi$$$e

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to economi$$$e

Hi fabulous trippers am looking for some advise!

After months and months of research and planning a trip to sarawak and sabah have finally booked - with a few changes...

Gave up on the Air Asia idea, far too complicated for two single mums with 5 kids to sort out!! Now travelling Singapore and have somehow ended up with an additional 5 days or so on our 4wk trip(origianally 3wks), all of which are in KK!

Given this, our original idea of staying in a city hotel is now working out a little more expensive (we want a pool cos of kids). Am now thinking of splittling the stay between the city and an outer suburban area. I would like to seek opinions on choices (i have read all the reviews - more than once! & still can't decide)

Our priority is a pool; clean; and affordable edible food

Our choices are: Berringis Resort (not sure this is much cheaper than city hotels with pool tho??); Seaside Travellers Inn & Langkah Syabas Beach Resort??

Thoughts and experiences much appreciated

Many Thanks

K

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

Hi K,

the resorts/Inn you have mentioned is pretty far from town.

It really depends what you plan to do with the kids, if river cruise tour, rafting or even Pulau Tiga visit is in your plan, then staying around the area is recommended.

I have just returned from Borneo Golf & Country Resort in Bogawan, it has lovely pool, guess you kids would love it much. It is further from town, around 1 hour drive from KKIA, but it is very near to the river cruise area, weston/Klias & Pulau Tiga The Survivor Island. I would highly recommend this resort for those who seek for a cheaper accommodation with nice pool and rooms.

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

Plus Point, food prices is pretty reasonable, around RM10-15 per plate of rice or noodle.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

thanks Nickie!! hadn't thought of country resort was thinking coastal will do some research on that. we will still stay some time in KK central just trying to break up extended time there... thanks again :-)

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

i now note this is coastal thanks nickie!! can't find direct webstite though? any ideas??

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

Hi K,

after checking in Google Search, i have just realized they do not have an official website yet as the place has just been re-open few months back.

I booked my stay via a local Travel Company, you can check out some photos here, found it online:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Hope it helps and enjoy Sabah!

Nickie

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

thanks again Nickie - have checked out FB page, they have some great photos of lots of things on there :-) Is that the travel agent you used??

Do you know much about the places i mention in my OP??

:-)

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

Hi K,

Sorry for my ignorance.Whats OP stands for? hehe.

Yes,booked my stay with them.

Anyway,if there is any more questions on Sabah,just ask away,i am more than happy to help!

Nickie

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

I'm no expert Nickie, but from other posts my deduction is that OP is original post??? (now i'n not so sure...lol)

I am still looking for feedback/comparisons of the 3 Hotels/ B&Bs i mentioned, along with other suggestions like yours Nickie. So if anyone has experience with these places i'd love to hear.

Many thanks :-)

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

Hi K,

Got it!haha. I have not stayed in Langkah Syabas but been there, its a resort bounded inside a fenced property,not so like it.

Stayed in Seaside Travellers,its more of a backpacker type of accomodation.A very simple small pool.

Stayed in in Beringgis too!The rooks are pretty run down.

Thats the reason i did not recommend any of the 3 in my earlier reply.

Nickie

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to economi$$$e

backpackers ok as long as clean and not too much partying. Bounded by a fence? like a wire fence? is it a bad area?

What about the marina court apartments, just found a large one in hotel reviews which looks pretty good?? we can all stay together, it has a pool and seems to be walking distance from most things in town??

Which resort do you work in Nickie (am i allowed to ask that? not self promoting seeing as i asked??)

Thanks again & again & again.... :-)