We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water rafting

UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
White water rafting

Hi guy's can any one provide info on white water rafting, however, never done this , what about costs, distance from Tanjung aru, myself and my 17 year old son really fancy the idea.

Cheers Jamie

malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: White water rafting

The journey will start at pick up from ur hotel. Roughly 90km distance to a small town call Beaufort. On board the local train to Pangi Station (39km distance). Light refershment before start rafting. Lunch will be included. Back to hotel at 3.00pm. Roughly RM 190.00 per person. U can try to contact this rafting company

Borneo Ultimate. www.borneoultimate.com.my. Email to suzie_carole@yahoo.com. She can help u.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: White water rafting

Hi Jamie, the best way and more adventurous to reach the place for white water rafting is to take the North Borneo Railway from Tanjung Aru, and alighting at Kampung Pangi. This train journey will allow you to relive the colonial days as you steam through the paddy fields, and also passing the dramatic Padas Gorge. It is a 3.5 hours journey.

Alternatively, a 1.5 hours coach journey to Beaufort and another 1.5 hours by train to Pangi.

After suiting up (helmets, life jackets) and safety instructions breifing,, get ready to embark on a 2hours exhilarating adventure, shooting through rapids (headhunter, Padas Cyclone, Cobra Rock, Roller Coaster, Jazuzzi Pool) .

The adventure finishes at Kampung Rayoh where lunch is served, before catching the train and coach back to KK.

Since you have not done this, just do it...you can..remember swim suits, shoes with rubber soles (or a great pair of Teva), extra dry clothes and no valuables please. You will also be required to sign liability release form and certificate is issued at the end of your adventure.

The last quoted cost was GBP40.00 per person.

The rapids at Padas are of Grade II-IV.Since you have not done white water rafting, below is some info which could be helpful for your knowledge:

Grade I

This is either flat, open water with minimal current or weather with a slight current and maybe a few skiffles or shingle beds. Swimming is usually safe.

Grade II

This is easy white water. You might have to cope with small waves and stoppers and the occasional tree on the outside of a bend. If you swim, you might pick up a couple of bumps and scrapes but it is very unusual to come off any worse than that.

Grade III

This is moderate white water. Waves may push you off course unless you take corrective action, and stoppers may grip a boat. If you swim, you may find yourself with a few bruises and struggling to get your equipment back.

Grade IV

Difficult white water. This requires skill as well as bottle, with specific lines that you need to make through a rapid. A roll is essential if you’re to avoid uncomfortable swims that may result in injury.

Grade V

Very difficult white water. There’s usually a very specific line that needs to be taken through grade V, though the river will often be trying to force you somewhere else. You should have a bombproof roll and be certain that you’ll make your line before paddling this grade of water. Any swimming will often result in significant injury. Grade V will often need inspecting and protecting from the river bank.

Grade VI

Technically defined as a rapid at ‘the upper limits of navigability’ grade VI is, generally, a very unpleasant proposition. Any mistake will result in serious consequences, possibly including a risk to life. Grade VI rapids are only run at very specific water levels and, even then, only by a select few. Best avoided.

Although the danger

of a rapid is often linked to its grade, this isn’t always the case. For example, a grade II rapid that sweeps round a tree could be significantly more dangerous than its grade would suggest, whereas a deep grade IV into a flat pool might be a very safe proposition. Intimidation is also a factor that shouldn’t come into the equation - some waterfalls are very simple and safe propositions but are often overgraded because of their height.

Since this is your first time, not to intimidate you, but you may wish to try the Kiulu white water rafting first, which is of grade 1-II, then onto Padas.

The duration is also shorter for Kiulu, about 6 hours, compared to Padas, which is about 11 hours (well, journey time to Pangli from KK is already 6 hours to and fro). For Kiulu, the trip from KK to Tamparuli is about 1.5 hours.

Kiulu will provide a good stepping stone in respect of paddling technique, anticipation of rapids wave, sitting position and your limb, and body balancing to shift raft's centre of gravity.

Before you make a reservation, with BUSAT (the company given by the earlier post), think of questions--quality and reliability, safety standards, practise of safety standards, and just to give you a hint: Kinabalu= Borneo; white water rafting= eco, and you want to have a experienced local company= tours, join the three words in order, and you will find something rather interesting. Its accolades will give a higher notch.

Do not worry, you are not out there alone, a guide with white water rafting experience is there, but as they will be 6-8 nos of rafters, it is a team spirit to overcome the rapids.

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White water rafting

Could anybody who has done the harder of the two white water rafting trips from KK let me know how hard it is. I've never done it before. I'm in KK now and will be booking for Monday but not sure which one to book.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White water rafting

I did my first ever white water rafting on the padas, encouraged by my partner who had done it a few times before. I am not a strong swimmer but I am comfortable in the water, (I also enjoy extensive snorkeling and have done it a few times off of Sipidan).

I was apprehensive but it was easier than I thought and had such a fantastic time we now do it most times we return to Sabah.

The company we always use is Diethelm Borneo Expeditions. We have always been led by Julian who puts safety paramount but also makes it extremely good fun.

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White water rafting

The Padas River is supposedly the tougher one, but I've also done it and it wasn't what I would call dangerous - but loads of fun.

The North Borneo Railway a) isn't running at the moment and probably won't be until at least April next year and b) when it did run before never went beyond Papar. The Sabah state railway, plain old passenger train, ran the length - but the tracks are out until next year April (hence no NBR) - not sure if they are running services from Beaufort onwards.

Wildlife Expeditions can also organise the tour which even sans the train is still worth it. Check out wildlife-expeditions.com for more.

6. Re: White water rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 12:21