We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian dollars

Mackay, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Australian dollars

Hi Planning our first visit in for June/July. Is Australian currency widely accepted by money changers in KK, Kuching and other places in Malaysia? Am hoping not to have to rely solely on using ATMs due to high charges imposed by Australian banks. Thanks in advance.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian dollars

Hi there!

Yes, AUD is widely accepted by money changers. Not to worry, they even offer good exchange rates.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian dollars

THe $A is easily exchanged in Sabah. You should get around RM 3.2 for $1 which is a lot better than you will get in Australia. I also have a Visa Debit Card from St George bank and the only fee I am charged for using it in ATMs is a currency conversion charge. There are no other bank fees.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian dollars

Hi nevertoolate 50, We visited kuala lumpur , kota kinabalu and kuching last year, there were no dramas changing aus. dollars, every money exchange I visited was happy to change my currency,

I normally just take what I think I will need for the day to exchange and leave the rest in the in room safe, I also leave my wallet and passport in the safe and just take a photocopy of the passport with me just in case,I did have a young child try to pick pocket me at the markets opposite le meridienin kota kinabalu unfortunately for him I had left my wallet in the safe, he also tried my son but he also had left his wallet in the hotel, my wife and sons fiancee were walking behind us and saw the young boy running his hand over the back of our shorts at the same time cuddling us and thanking us for spending money at the markets, I wrote a report on t/a forum about this in oct2012.

Change a small amount say $50 aus before leaving Aus and change the rest in malaysia, far better rate.

Enjoy Malaysia

Mackay, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian dollars

Hi all

Thanks for the advice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian dollars

Is it easy to change AUD in Sandakan?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian dollars

yes. There are money changers and banks in Sandakan.

7. Re: Australian dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu