We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Sydney
Level Contributor
279 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Hi,

I am planning our trip to Kota Kinabalu in September staying 3 nights. We are considering booking Le Meridian for 3 nights but I'm trying to decide whether to book the Club room which includes breakfast or the Deluxe Seaview (without breakfast & no internet access included). We've stayed at this hotel once previously. But now I'm wondering if it's worth an extra $53 for internet and breakfast So I'm doing some research to find out if there's any good restaurants that are open around 8 o'clock to 8.30 for breakfast close to the Le Meridian. I know the Le Meridian breakfast is ok but having the same thing every day gets a bit boring. But if it's difficult to find good choices for breakfast I guess we don't have a choice. We'd be looking for a cooked breakfast probably American style with cereals, eggs etc. Thanks for taking the time to read my question and hopefully make my time in Kota Kinabalu a better one.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Hi firstimetraveller,

I notice you were considering Jesselton Hotel too, not sure bout the room condition as i have not stayed there recently.

But i would highly recommend the American Breakfast. Why not consider nearby hotel like Horizon, pretty new, rooms are new too. Then have your breakfast at Bella Restaurant in Jesselton? You can skip the breakfast at Horizon as it isn't good. Just OK.

Hope it helps!

Nickie

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Hey not sure where your hotel is location wise but I can highly recommend the Shangri La Tanjung Aru both to stay and for the breakfast buffet which is definitely one of the best I have ever had - no bacon though only Turkey bacon as is common in Malaysia - hard to get Pork anywhere due to religion.

Enjoy your trip

Roz

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

I am at a Shangri-la Tanjung Aru. Just had breakfast. Huge selection.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Well it's personal preference.

For $53 you get internet AND breakfast. But if you don't need internet and you eat very little, you could obviously get away without.

The Le Meridien is along Jalan TF Stephen and there are lots of shops nearby such as Warisan and Centre Point who will have ample selection for your breakfast needs at much lower prices. Personally, i LOVE roti bread for breakfast and there's a very cheap place almost opposite the end of central market closer to the Le Meridien that offers fantastic roti bread with meat or egg or cheese for around 3-5 RM! Add a drink or whatever and you're still under 10RM (roughly 3.5AUD).

Just ask the people at the hotel or the locals on the street, there are enough restaurants everywhere open for breakfast. They're not terribly hard to find. If you are picky or have health restrictions, probably better eating at the hotel whereby they can better cater for your needs.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 05:01
Brunei
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Save the $53 and enjoy your breakfast at local restaurants... There's a couple of good restaurants around Le Meridian and they are cheap too.

Just to name a few.. Kedai Kopi Seng Hing (serves local foods and price is reasonable too)

Heng Long (HK Style chinese food with dim sums and noodles)

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

If you want a more modest breakfast than the hotel buffet then Old Town White Coffee Kopitiam, near the Sabah Tourism Board, is a reasonable choice. Juice, eggs on toast, toast with kaya jam & tasty coffee or more Asian choices if you want something local. Order from the menu by writing the codes on an order slip. Specify variations if you want, eg they don't list black coffee so order white coffee no milk. Soft boiled eggs are underdone for my taste but you can ask for them to be cooked longer or specify fried eggs.

Taxi Tanjung Aru to KK and back + breakfast for two costs less than 1 buffet breakfast, admittedly very good, at the Shangri -La.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

If you want real pork bacon and nice lamb or pork sausages go to Jarrod & Rawlins at Times Square.

You won't be disappointed.

Breakfast at Pacific Sutera hotel is that terrible turkey ham also and processed sausages..... Terrible stuff !

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

The OP has been and gone.

9. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 04:35
Sydney
Level Contributor
143 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best breakfasts in Kota Kinabalu

Forum Killjoy?

Honestly BigW is one of the most polite posters on here.

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu