We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

HI

My husband and I would like to spend a holiday in Kota Kinabalu next August.

I know that prices for alcohol are expensive in restaurants in Malaysia.

We enjoy eating in local restaurants nightly and having a beer and wine with our food.

As in Thailand can one buy beer or wine locally and bring to the restaurant with us?

Any comments

Ger

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Hi Ger_12,

It really depends on the restaurant, for Muslim/Malay Restaurant, alcohol is strictly prohibited.

But if you tend to dine is local restaurant other than Muslim restaurant, you could order the beer or wine from them, normally they do not allow bringing in own food or drinks, some restaurant may allow alcohol, but they do charge corkage for it.

Local chinese restaurant which has is Open Air and No Aircon, normally you can get the beer for cheap price, RM12 for 3 cans of beer?

Hope it helps!

Nickie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Many thanks Nickie

U.K.
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

There's a Thai restaurant at Damaii but it's a little way outside KK you can take your own wine no charge for opening and the food is also very good.

Most non Muslim restaurants won't allow but I found most seafood restaurants are happy to let you open wine but not beer for a small one off charge about Rm20 +/- but I don't think the more upmarket restaurants on the waterfront would allow but you can always ask them if they think your going to eat some other place they might relent its worth asking as wine is a stupid price if you buy it in the restaurant you can expect to pay at least Rm120 plus another 16% for Gov tax & service charge on top.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Hi Sabah Girl,

We have been to KK many times staying in every type of accommodation available from Sutera Harbour to Le Meridien to Marina Condos. We found Marina Condos far to noisy with the car drags going on up and down the street till all hours but love the location and apartment style of living. We too have looked at short term rental at Grace Ville or Grace Park but do not know who to contact for such accommodation. If you can supply us a contact that would be greatly appreciated as we love KK and the people the food and lifestyle and keep coming back....Just have to get the right accommodation..

Cheers,Neil and Suzie neilbull@ausgolftours.com.au

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Hi Neil and Suzie,

I knew some private owners that renting the condos out for short term. Will try check them out and see whether they are still in business and post a reply here.

Nickie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

Thanks greatly Nickie, appreciate all your help as would like to stay there.

7. Re: KK EATERIES and ber and wine prices or BYO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17