We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Hi there, I notice from looking at other reviews that the Shangri La Tanjung Aru has club rooms which allow guests staying in these rooms the use of a club lounge that offers complementary drinks and canapes in the evening. Could anyone please tell me if Shangri La Rasa Ria offers anything similar. I would like to stay at RR but I know that this hotel is quite isolated in terms of eating and drinking out. If I go I would probably stay two weeks and would like to know whether there are dining options for all budgets at the hotel or if it is likely to prove quite expensive having to eat and drink within the hotel on a two week stay. Ideally I would prefer to book half or full board but I don't know if this is possible. Where possible I prefer to pay as much of the cost upfront and not have to worry about anything when I get there.

Thanks for any help given

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

There is no club lounge at Rasa Ria. However if you are staying in the Ocean Wing you have access to Coast Restaurant for breakfast.

This recent thread contains detail and costs of restaurants at Rasa Ria.

tripadvisor.com/…56160323

If you intend to stay for 2 weeks (14 nights) you can get the long stay package which includes full buffet breakfast, 20% discount on all food and beverages and other benefits.

See shangri-la.com/kotakinabalu/…

This is the package I use.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Many thanks Bigw that's a real help. We have travelled to quite a lot of countries but mostly sort out all inclusive or at least half board before we go, so just wanted a heads up as I don't usually have to concern myself too much with hotel prices as I have usually paid upfront. Could you please advise me the best month to go in terms of rainfall. I appreciate that we are likely to get late afternoon downpours but would rather not travel when it is likely to be prolonged rain all day. it would be our first trip to Borneo mainly to see the Orangutans -hence wanting to stay at RR.

Kindest regards

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

I have travelled in March, April, May, June and October. The weather is fairly consistent all year with higher rainfall in December, January, February. It is usually warm to hot (depending what you are used to) around 32 C with a late afternoon of evening storm. They are just heavier during the "wetter" months. I have only experienced around 4 or 5 Days when it rained all day.

There are several local eating places a short taxi trip from the resort. Have look at top questions on the right of the page.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 09:41
Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Thanks for that bigw I will have a look through the questions. We tend to travel mostly around March and October so that's good to hear.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Hi, I have just booked at the RR in Kota Kinabalu for 8 days and I did the same deliberation. I have been told by many people that the Rasa Ria is much better than the Tajung Aru. You will be at the mercy of resort pricing at the RR but I consider the food prices reasonable at Shangri La properties in general. We normally book a club room to take advantage of all that wonderful included food and drink but the RR do not offer club. What we have done is booked the Ocean Wing which has breakfast at Coast restaurant included. We had a similar deal at the Garden Wing in Singapore ... a la carte breakfast but there was a huge continental spread as well and you can just keep ordering. Book the Ocean Wing, fill up on breakfast and pay for one meal a day. We plan to check out the bars and restaurants at the Tanjung Aru as well. The Shangri La properties normally allow you to sign for food and beverage and they charge it back to your room no matter which hotel you are staying at (they do in Penang).

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Hi

This hotel is the business

We stayed for 7 days back in 2011, and always pop in when we are in the area.

The buffet on a friday night is amazing, all you can eat for around £20

Prawns,curry,malay,etc deserts are to die for, even got bread and butter pudding, brulee, and rice pudding.

I am sure from the uk, you can book room only, or with breakfast.

They have lots of options for dining, a fantastic indian, which also hosts the cooking classes that we did. And many more.

They have a bus which travels into town on a regular basis, this drops you off in the middle of town. From there you can go to the seafront dining outlets, or visit the food market with all the hawker stalls, great value and great food, a full seafood meal, prawns snapper drink £10.

Some good bars in this area too.

You could also hire a car for your stay, airport is a good place, or I could give you some numbers of people who can be trusted to look after you.

Mail me if you need any more help

Regards

7. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 22:05
Manchester England
Level Contributor
236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Thanks everyone. This is all really useful info and I am not quite so aprehensive now. It looks like there are a few options within the hotel that don't sound as expensive as I expected them to be.

Many thanks everyone for all your help - and DLB007 as neither of us drive I will keep your offer of a number in mind.

Kind regards

Darlington
Level Contributor
76 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

Hi

I have just booked 14 nights at RR as a package deal and have paid extra for half board. It was pretty reasonable - about £30 pp. Thought it was probably the best idea with it being so isolated.

10. Re: Club lounge at Rasa Ria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15