We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

Manila, Philippines
6 posts
Save Topic
transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

hi all.

we're on a very late flight to KK this Friday and arriving very early morning (around 1:30 a.m. ) at the KK airport. Are there taxi cabs available at that time? and how much is the estimate fare to Ming Garden Hotel?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

At 1.30 am the taxi fare will be around RM45. Buy a voucher at the taxi counter in the terminal.

Manila, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

thanks a lot.

Kota Kinabalu
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

Oh be prepared to pay double...I personally think that the taxi services at the airport is ridiculous in terms of their fare. Sometimes they apply the double fare rule. I am not sure which airport you will be arriving...Terminal 1 or 2. Once I took the taxi from Terminal 1 sometime around 2am, and the place that I need to go was just 5 km away (my parents home)...they charged me double... :(... not to say bad things about my own hometown but always be prepared for 'something' double especially late late late hours.

Cheers

Roland

Manila, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

uh oh..We will be arriving at Terminal 2.

the taxi cabs don't use meter?

Kota Kinabalu
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

They don't use meter (taxi for the airport), they have this fix price fare, one destination for one price rule. (They wil issue you coupon). However, between 12am-6am. the fare will be double. Maybe the fare from Terminal 2 is between 22.50-30, that may explain the fare mentioned by bigw....but I am not sure myself-in regards to the current fare. But I am pretty sure whatever the basic fare is, it will be double by 50-100% for 12am-6am time frame. So just prepare some RM100 for the fare. In case. If you get RM45, consider yourself lucky.

At a later stage, share your experience here (about the midnight taxi fare from KKIA2)-it might help others. By the way, Taxis in town are metered but most of the time they will not use it, so be prepared to ask the driver to turn on the meter. Insist...if you want the meter... If you do not say anything, they will give you their own price...sometimes the fare is crazy and unacceptable (but do negotiate if you have to hop into a taxi with 'no meter')...sorry about that...that is how things goes here in KK.

P/s to get around the city (6am-8pm roughly) learn how to use the city bus..cheap and effiecient/air conditioned...only rm1 per pax per journey ..with many stops along the way (only for navigating the city)...some people just hop into the bus and let the bus make a circle..that way you know some landmarks/places in the city.

Cheers

Roland

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,362 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

If you buy a voucher at the taxi counter the fare is fixed. Normally it would be RM 30 but there is a 50% surcharge between 11.50 pm and 6.00 am.

See tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g298307-c175255/Ko…

Manila, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

thank yo so much. this is very helpful.

Manila, Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

thank you so much bigw. this is so helpful.

9. Re: transportation from KK airport to hotel (KK south district)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:16