We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone contact within kk and kuching

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone contact within kk and kuching

HI

I am travelling to KK and Kuching Aug 2014.

I would like to know about the mobile phome SIM cards available there while I am on hols, especially for local texting,

I will have 2 phones with me whichever is cheaper to use.

One is an iPhone and the other a simple Nokia.

I will not have roaming on either.

I am not interested in using the NET on my phone as I will have a laptop.

Any advice

Many thanks

Ger

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,826 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

It depends on what model of iPhone you have. If it will need a Nano SIM then use the Nokia which probably takes a standard SIM. Just buy a SIM card from any mobile phone shop or other outlet and top it up as and when needed. You will probably have to produce your passport as there is a big crackdown on phones being used for criminal purposes. Don't put too much credit on it to begin with as phone calls and texts are much cheaper in Malaysia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

Many thanks for your reply. I have an iPhone 5c. I think I will use the Nokia however. Any advice on the brand. Ce?? Or iTune or does it matter just for local texts in Kk and Kuching ?

Cheers

Ger

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,826 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

Doesn't really matter. I use DiGi but have used Maxis. DiGi worked in Kuching when I was there. Really, whatever gives the best coverage where you're going. Your hotel can probably advise on what works best before you go out to get a SIM.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

Hi GER,

all Malaysian sim cards works well throughout Malaysia. Maxis/Celcom/Digi/Tune Talk/etc.

But if you intend to visit rural places in Sabah, then i suggest Celcom, they have wider coverage in rural places.

It doesn't matter what phone you will be using and you only intend to use it for local text. Just be reminded to turn off your Data when you use your iphone to avoid additional data charges.

Prepaid sim card can be purchased in form of Normal Sim, Nano Sim or Micro Sim, just request for them to cut it for you.

Currently there is a promotion going on for Sabah Traveler, you can get a prepaid sim pack at RM8.50 for Maxis Network, they provide Free basic Internet which could enable travelers to use Free WhatsApp, etc.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

G'day Ger,

Firstly do please ascertain if both phones-your iP5C and Nokia are unlocked,for Malaysia prepaid SIM to be used.

As you mentioned local texts, it does not matter which phone you prefer to use.

If you are coming in with AirAsia and landing at KLIA2 first, you could drop by into TuneTalk store,which is open 24 hours. Tune Talk is a MVNO which rides on Celcom celco network.

How are you going to get NET on your laptop?

6. Re: iPhone contact within kk and kuching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu