We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KL
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

Hello all just would like to advise those whom are makinng trip to Kota Kinabalu Sabah not to stay in this hotel. The staff are not helpful, rude and not responsive to my need. I made reservation and was told that I can check in as early as 8am.But when I arrived they staff told me I had to check in at 12 or so since they have absolutely NO ROOM available. After making a lot of fuss, they somehow found a VACANT room for me within after 30 minutes of arguing. The frontdesk staff was rude and not helpful.Upon check in we we found out our room is rather unclean with mould growing all over the bathroom and the bath room has no water heater and the hair dryer is not working, I made several call to the maintenance but I was only attended to after 45 minutes. This is really disappointing and I hope this is not the standard of hotels in KK!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

Hi, thanks for posting this and alerting other TA forum users.

In fact, have not heard of this hotel, where is it located?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

I have never heard of this hotel either and I think this is the first time it has featured on TA.

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

It's a 2 or 3 star hotel, not sure, ontop of Wawasan Plaza. When you drive into KK with Sutera Harbour behind you, it's the first building on the left - the entrance is near the Public Bank and there's a prominent cafe on the road near there too.

Can't say much about it - stayed there once in 1999.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

Thanks eastofwest

I think gracefulgrace has learnt a lesson on booking 2 or 3 star hotels. I had a similar experiece in Brunei earlier this year and learnt my lesson.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

I have had a similar experience. We were in KK for a wedding and had booked 7 rooms weeks in advance (with a deposit that covered 1 night's stay). The hotel had been informed that we would check in late as we were on the last flight from KL. On the morning of our arrival, our hosts PERSONALLY informed the hotel again that we would be checking in late. When we arrived, we were told that our rooms had been cancelled!! After an argument with the Front Office Staff, we were finally given 4 rooms (thankfully we required no more), of which 1 room was still not ready! The staff were rude and at one time said they would forfeit the deposit! It really embarrassed our hosts.

On the second day we were rudely awakened at 8 am and told to pay up for another night as the deposit was insufficient (couldn't they just have asked this from us upon check-in? Or asked for a credit card imprint??) They even hounded me about this when I went to have breakfast at the coffee house.

On top of that, we had requested several items from Housekeeping which were NEVER delivered to our rooms for the duration of the stay. The Housekeeping staff were sullen and couldn't be bothered to inform if items were available or not.

The Front Office Manager refused to come out when we asked to see him! We were supposed to stay for four nights but checked out after only two, and will NEVER RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone at any time--plenty of other hotels in the area!

U.K.
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

Tang Dynasty Wassan Plaza Kota Kinabalu

(Not to be confused with the new Tang Dynasty)

Hi Gracefulgrace,

How right you are this is the worst hotel in Kota Kinabalu and probably the whole of Asia.

We were supposed to arrive at the hotel at about 4pm but due to flight delay did not arrive till 9pm only to be told that our room was not ready.

we booked a non smoking deluxe double room i said we had been travelling all day and needed a shower and to clean up we were told we could use the room to shower.

when we got to the room i know it was not ready for us but it looked like someone had just departed the room that we had paid for from 2pm cigarette ends ash all over remember (NO Smoking Room) and it was a Family room not a Delux double.

When i questioned this i was told i was being upgraded as there was only two of us why would i want a family room with a double and single bed.

I asked if we could get into the room within the hour and was told we would have to wait a couple of hours as housekeeping was not available.

So off we went to a restaurant that we really did not want just to fill in a couple of hours returning at midnight.

The room had only just been finished so we took the keys to our family room and got into bed only to be awakened an hour later by a baby crying all night in the adjoining room next door that had been locked off.

Next morning we could not wait to check out i told the reception that i was refusing to pay the full amount for the room as we could not get into it till gone midnight and was told i would have to pay the full rate less a small discount of rm20 which i said no way and told them i would pay no more than half the rate.

I found out that the room was used as a late check out room and they had been paid rm100 for a late check out so they had already made rm100 on a room that they wanted me to pay full rate for.

After much arguing and standing my ground refusing to pay the rate they wanted eventually they agreed as they could see i meant what i said.

If anyone else is unfortunate enough to have to spend a night in this place and they experience problems and believe me its more than possible i counted at least 5/6 people complaining at the desk while i was negotiating the price i would suggest you ask for a large discount and refuse to budge till you get it maybe then this two bit rubbish hotel might get its act together.

7. Re: Tang Dynasty Kota Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:22