We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Kinabalu

York, England
2 posts
Save Topic
Mount Kinabalu

Hi

We're planning a trip to KK 16-21 February and very keen to spend some time at the mountain. We know we have left it too late to climb overnight as all mountain accomodation is booked. But...

1) Is it possible to climb in a single day? We're pretty experienced trekkers, so is this a possibility?

2) We are really struggling to find any accomodation in or near the park (not least because Sutera Sanctuary Lodges don't seem to like email!). Any suggestions of less obvious accomodation options??? Ideally with website/email contact.

Thanks all who are listening

M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Fontana(York)

Re Q1 - I would say climbing the mountain in a day is NOT a possibility. I did it in December and the group I was with were all fairly fit and we didn't spend much time resting and it took us just under 6 hours to get to the rest stop. To get to the top would require another 2-3 (3 especially if you have just done it for 6 hrs).

By then it would be dark and you have to turn around and get all the way back to the bottom.

You also must have a mountain guide etc etc the Local Experts that contribute here will give you a better explanation.

As for Q2 - dunno sorry......

B

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Dear Fontana

Well, theoretically it is possible to do the mountain in one day.

Every year, previously in October, but this year in August, they do the Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon - an international race where people who just didn't make the cut for Superhero School run up and down the mountain - the winner of which does it in just under 3 hours.

But that aside, you won't be issued a permit to climb unless you have accommodation on the mountain. The compulsory guides would be able to keep up with whatever pace you can dish out. You can arrive in the morning, do the climb to Laban Rata, summit and arrive back at Park HQ the next day - so you would only need 1 night's worth of accommodation on the mountain.

As for your accommodation woes - there's plenty to choose from, pitty about the delay in replies from SSL - when were you thinking of going?

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Hi Fortana

I am a fairly experienced mountaineer, just returned from Muztagata in China at 7546 metres.

My advise is that it really is not healthy to undertake a climb to this altitude in the one haul without acclimatisation .

If you had just come from a higher altitude yes you could do it. If not, sure you may make it but then there is the risk of mountain sickness and trust me you dont want to experience this. Also it would be a hard slog and for what, to just bag the summit? Fitness is not a measure of ability to suceed at altitude

Try phoning SSL and ask for accommodation other than the heated Laban Rata hostel, you may be suprised. I also understand that their is currently a review of how SSL manages bookings on the mountain. Make certain you obtain a reservation ID and also the name and details of the officer at SSL handling your enquiry. Let us all know how you go.

Cheers

Roger

York, England
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Hi

Thanks to you both for your responses.

Roger, thanks for the advice and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I take on board your comments about bagging the summit. It should be about more than just a tick in a box.

I think we have decided to skip Mount Kinabalu this time as we seemed to have planned our trip for one of the busiest times of the year!

Hopefully SSL will improve their response times. They appear to have a monopoly on most of the well placed accomodation near KK but don't provide the service to go with it!

Cheers

M

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Kinabalu

There is a place to stay on mountain called Warus Huts, it is only a shed with bunks in it but it does okay for a bit of rest.

A place you could stay nearby to mountain is caLLed Fairy Garden resort. (phone: 088-889688) -they can make you a packed lunch for your climb thats yummy!!!

As for climbing in one day, good luck!!

It took me 2hrs to get to Warus Huts where my tour stayed until about 2:30am when we continued to summit to watch sunrise at 5am, I then continued down mountain getting to base by 10am, feeling very sore and struggling to get up stairs for for next few days. The alltitude was no problem I didn't think, IF your doing the sunrise thing make sure you bring a headtorch, gloves and beanie- its bloody cold up there!!! You can hire headtorch, sleeping bags and jackets up there but they are very worn and go fast.

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Fontana,

Here is a link to some photos of Mt Kinabalu.

outdoors.webshots.com/album/373977112YkXqPa

Regards Troy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Kinabalu

hi,

sorry, just to hijack your thread for a question =)

i am planning to do a 3D2N trek up kinabalu in late may. from your experience, is it still possible to get rooms now? or are the rooms already fully booked? i tried emailing them, nothing came back. =/

i saw a package from the following site for RM550 each.

www.suterasanctuarylodges.com.my/p1.htm

what do u guys think of it? worth it, or better/cheaper to arrange everything yourself?

thanks alots! and regards

spear

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Spearhawk,

There will certainly be at least something available for your in May.

Email info@suterasanctuarylodges.com.my - should get a quicker response from them on there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Kinabalu

Hi Spearhawk

I have booked my own choice of accommodation at three different lodges and types of accommodation at Mt Kinabalu and Poring Hot Springs.

I booked independently and chose each of the lodges for what they had to offer and booked for 3 people and it came to a bit more than the $550 and does not include meals but this is the way I chose to book.

Have a look at the different accommodation that is available on their site and then factor in meals and see what you come up with.

Sutera Sanctuary (SSL) is in the early stages of a review of their booking methods, how they relate to customers, how they manage emails and the definition of "Full" or Fully Booked, so we would all hope to see substantial improvements in the near future. Let us know how you go.

As I have posted before you may need to actually phone someone, however take their name and ensure you get a reservation ID from the staff. If you have difficulties post your issues here, as this site is now being monitored for feedback on SSL.

Cheers

Roger

10. Re: Mount Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu