We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Eats?

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Adelaide Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Eats?

Hi All,

Any recommendations on great places to eat in Kuching? We're keen to try both street/market food as well as any good restaurants.

Thanks

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
5 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Eats?

Try Jalan Padungan, several street food style 'coffee shops' on this street - mostly chinese style.

A personal favourite restuarant of mine is 'Bla Bla Bla' on Jalan Tabuan.

There are street food stalls along the waterfront, and also across the river, take a small boat and sample the malay food here and the local atmosphere.

Adelaide Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Eats?

Thanks so much, will give them a crack 👍

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Eats?

Kuching is well known for its street/hawker food. Maybe i'll mention the location/street name so you may take it from there to google or find out more yourself...

1. Carpenter Street area - daytime

2. Old market - nighttime

3. Jalan Song 101 - nighttime

4. Top Spot - nighttime

5. Jalan Padungan - allday.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 16:14
Mentioned in this post
Carpenter Street
Carpenter Street
108 Reviews
Kuching, Malaysia
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Eats?

Please look on the left side of this page: Top questions about Kuching

Find the 'Kuching Food - where to eat?' topic

Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Eats?

Food is very plentiful and affordable in Kuching - you won't go wrong wandering about the abovementioned places. Beside the Hilton hotel there are also a few nice out of the way cafes including Tribal Stove which won a TripAdvisor award.

If your favorite places are closed not to worry just walk further and you should see other restaurants open - Kuching is a very quiet city and not all places may be open all the time, especially on public holidays and on quiet weekdays.

There are some very famous Chinese food stalls around serving traditional dishes - those are the ones that get long queues and crowds but I prefer to avoid them for a quiet dining experience.

My favorite places are ironically the upmarket ones - James Brooke cafe at the waterfront, and The White Barouk which is a white tower-like building overlooking the waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
James Brooke Bistro
James Brooke Bistro
1,006 Reviews
Kuching, Malaysia
Reply to: Best Eats?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted