We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Tour Companies

In cooperation with: Sarawak Tourism Board
Cloverdale, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Local Tour Companies

Traveling to Borneo solo in October 2018. Looking for a small local company to help organize a short private tour including lodging/transportation/guides, to include tours of Gunung Gading and Bako National Park. I have already booked the greater part of my time there with another company. I only have three extra days so I need a smart schedule and know it will include long days (have done similarly in Madagascar). I have emailed a few companies so far with no response, including Amazing Borneo. I know I could coordinate myself over there if I had more time, but would rather have it all worked out ahead of time, so I know I will be able to see what I want to see. I am particularly interest in the botany in the parks. Any guidance would be appreciated..

Mentioned in this post
Bako National Park
Bako National Park
505 Reviews
Kuching, Malaysia
9 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Tour Companies

It's very easy to book your accommodation online for Bako NP, take the local bus (i prefer taxi) to the jetty and get your boat transfer from there. You can hire guides from the NP HQ who would be best to show you the points of interest in the island. It's definitely worth the overnight stay.

There are local for offices along the water front, including Ooo Haa Tours, who you could probably arrange something else for your other days online.

We used a local guide, Jihey Riddup, who is fabulous for our local and overnight trips (Iban longhouse). Search his name on the forum for his contact details.

Edited: 17 May 2018, 09:41
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Tour Companies

As said above - Bako is easy to organise yourself.

Tour companies are plentiful - but not all of them are professional. I suggest you research the company before spending money with them.

You can expect long delays when you e-mail. For some reason, replies to e-mails get neglected.

I can recommend James ( saratour68@yahoo.com ) - reliable, honest and trust worthy. He speaks several languages. He can take you to some rarely visited places and has extensive knowledge and contacts.

Cloverdale, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Tour Companies

Thanks for your comments. My concern is timing. I end a tour in Kota Kinabalu the evening of October 28th. Hoping to catch a flight to Kuching the next morning, then transfer to Gunung Gading National Park, stay over night then spend all day in the park looking for Rafflesia, thats the most import find for me. Then I'd like to get back to Kuching, and have a day in Bako. I fly to Vietnam on November 1st. It would be easier to have it all set, then to have to work out all the transportation there. If I had more flexibility I'd wing it. @ Esorlegin - is James a Bako specific guide or does he go to other areas as well? You've hired him before? Thanks, Ashley

Mentioned in this post
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Gunung Gading National Park
Gunung Gading National...
63 Reviews
Lundu, Malaysia
Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Tour Companies

Rafflesia - if you visit Gunung Gading National Park web site, they have updates about the flowers when in bloom.

The plants are wide spread, so in just one day, it may be too far away to visit and see the flower.

James - covers a big area - even into the heart of Borneo. He could drive you out to Bako, but you do not need a guide as the trailers are clearly marked.

He may also be available to take you to Gunung Gading National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Gunung Gading National Park
Gunung Gading National...
63 Reviews
Lundu, Malaysia
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Tour Companies

I would have engaged James myself, saratour68@yahoo.com but we could not connect in person. I called on very short notice (2 days) and he was engaged all but one day. He was easy to contact and very helpful with suggestions even though we could not squeeze in a meeting.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Tour Companies

As your time is tight, I would suggest contacting or visiting the National Park office on the waterfront (or even one of the travel offices) to check whether in fact there are any rafflesia in flower while you are there. I believe they share information about where they can be found, and whether you will need a guide or not to find it.

At Bako, you do not need a guide to simply hike the trails, but if you particularly want some insight knowledge and "local eyes' to help you spot and learn, they are well worth engaging from HQ.

Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Tour Companies

For tour companies I have enquired with several for solo tour packages but the most friendly, flexible and competent seemed to be Cat City Holidays.

I had booked two guided tours with them over the past several weeks (went to Kuching twice) and they never failed to impress despite the odd scenario of having a full-time guide for me alone :)

The guide David is absolutely professional and has entertained guests from around the world including BBC production crews for a documentary on colonial history.

Mentioned in this post
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
8. Re: Local Tour Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2018, 14:59

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Tour Companies

@William N

1. Advertising is not permitted - please read the rules. Your post will be removed.

2. This is the Sarawak forum - NOT Indonesia.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Local Tour Companies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted