We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreux...
Level Contributor
229 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Does anyone knows few good places to eat in Kuching and in Damai Beach aera for Seafood as well as good local dishes ? Thanks.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

this is what I have pulled together (researched - pinched from blogs etc) so far..

Kuching Food

The Waterfront has little carts selling local Malay dishes at very affordable prices. Do try the teh tarik ("pulled" milk tea) and the BBQ stingray from the carts in front of the Hilton Hotel.

The Steakhouse, Hilton Hotel Kuching

Rm50 for a steak? Call in to book.

Chef At Home, Lorong Taman Hui Sing 5/6.

For first-timers, it is not easy to find the place because there aren't any visible signboards outside the house.

Chef At Home is located inside a residential house where the car porch and garden are conveniently converted into an alfresco dining area. It's nice and romantic.

Very cozy, and it doesn't cost a bomb.

Best Food Court

Hui Sing Hawker Centre, Lorong Taman Hui Sing 3.

Just across the road from the winner of Best Casual Dining is the winner for Best Food Court in Kuching.

Best Place To Have Breakfast

Choon Hui Cafe, Jalan Ban Hock.

This legendary establishment has been feeding hungry Kuchingnites for many years.

Located close to town, right next to Grand Continental Hotel, Choon Hui is as authentic as it can get to a old-fashioned Kuching Chinese-style coffee shop. It is open during breakfast hours only, starting business very early in the morning and finishes around 11am.

Hong Kong Noodle

Wisma Saberkas Sopping Center 3rd or 4th floor

Excellent Chinese cuisine. Cheap but still in Air conditioning. The specialty is the Char Siew (sweet red barbecue pork) and the duck. Prices start at RM 5 or so.

Hornbill Corner

Ban Hock Road

Outdoor steamboat style. You go and pick your marinated meats and seafood from a buffet line and cook them in the center of your table. The table is equipped with a gas burner in the center with a cast iron plate on it. In the center of the plate is a bowl where you can also make soup. All you can eat food for RM15 per person. Gets VERY busy on weekends and is a great place to watch people.

Mango Tree – Thai Restaurant.

Jalan Crookshank

Top Spot Food Court which is on the top floor of Taman Kereta at the center of the city, offer great variety choices of seafood, at reasonable price. u can actually walk around the food court n see the different seafood from different stalls before u finaly decide where to be seated... u can choose to pick the seafood n vegetable of ur favourite n they will just have them served the way u wan them to... after dining at the foodcourt, u can actually enjoy ur drinks at the Tapanga, a nice pub/music cafe on the 3rd/4th floor below the food court.

James Brook Bistro, just back from the Waterfront and opposite the Hilton.

Jalan Song does have one of the best selections - DO NOT go during the day time (Its quite away from town centre, about 15 minutes by taxi and can set you back by RM12.00) Jalan Song is the place to go for dinner or supper, its got the widest choice of hawker food you can find in Kuching. The whole place just rocks after 6pm. There are something like 3 big foodcourts (with maybe 100 stalls) linked together on the sidewalk, and several other kopitiams and restaurants within walking distance. Take your time to survey first.

DO NOT go during the day time

row of shophouses behind Ban Hock Road is teeming with hawkers' fares, . Actually the place is more well known if you say Law Lee Café (Lee Coffee Shop), meaning in Chinese Old Lee's Cafe. Law Lee's Cafe is one of the best places to sample the best of what Kuching has to offer in term of variety, there are about 20 stalls selling all manners of food, you name it they have it. My favourite there is a Foochow stall (situated at the last stall near the back line of the cafe) selling "kompia", a kind of Foochow burger (RM3.00 for 5 pieces), this is a must try food, as its endemic to Sibu and now to Kuhcing too. The same stall also sells another Foochow dish "Dain Bien Wu", a thick soupy dish with rice flour made pieces mixed with tiger lily, black fungus, cuttlefish and meat balls RM3.00, its my favourite too. Thre are many other stalls like "kueh chap", laksa, kolo mee etc etc. Try those that are not found in your place.

You have to ask around as the place is not facing the main road, but if you are walking from Harbour View Hotel, walk towards Hilton and turn right into Jalan Song Thian Cheok, keep walking till you see the Malaysian Airline building on your left, you'll see an Indian temple ahead and the Grand Continental Hotel next to it in the distance, keep walking and turn left at the small lane besides EON Bank and keep walking another 200 metres, you should hit Law Lee's Cafe, end of the block.

Tun Jugah Food Court a.k.a. Food Gallery is also worth a visit. Food court in a small shopping complex in golden triangle. Packed during lunch hour. Good choices & nice environment.

Go to top floor. As u go up the escaltor, dun be alrmed you see mainly the Popular bookshop. Turn to your left and u will see the food court.

Laksa Sarawak!! - Golden Arch (3rd Mile Bazaar)

- Bormill (3rd Mile Bazaar)

- Jalan Abel

Mee Kolok!! - Jln Sekama (a corner shop, sorry opposite the now defunct bar/club)

- Tabuan Jaya Food Court (AKA Fatty Kolok Mee)

- Open Air Food Court (if you happen to stroll around the city and looking for a decent meal - nice and cheap)

Tomato/Ketchup Mee - Pending Seafood Centre

- Kenyalang Park Food Court

Kuey Chap - Non-halal, all pork dishes! Try the one at Petanak Food Court

Char Kuey Teow - The simple version of Char Kuey Teow, just taugee and egg - Hui Sing Garden Food Court -

Sea food - In Kuching, sea food is a MUST!

- Bukit Mata (above the car park, an impressive food court)- there are many stores - choose Ling Long.

Must order - Mud craps

- Bidin

- Fish (terubok) steamed. Watch out for the tiny bones.

- Buntal Village (seafood restaurants builts on stilts facing the South China Sea) cheap and nice but 45 mins drive from Kuching, near Damai Resort

Malay restaurant - Go to Satok Bridge. Many restaurants to choose from.

Must try.

1) BBQ spring chicken (YUMMY!!)

2) Ikan pangang

Desserts - Hui Sing food court

Look out for Ah Meng Cafe

- White lady

- Mattehorn

- Lucky strike

- A spot of red

- the normal ABC

you name it, he would made it!!

Mid-night supper (till wee morning i.e. 4-5 am in the morning)

i) Petanak Food Court

ii) Open Air Bazaar

iii) Food courts at 3rd Mile Bazaar

Must try for local experience

i) Open Air Bazaar

Chong Choon in Kuching is one of the best places for Sarawak Laksa.

It is crowded and bustling and full of locals. You might have to wait for a table. It is more like a local eatery than a restaurant and it is the real thing, bench tables, plastic plates, cutlery or chopsticks dunked in a beer mug of hot water--not touristy.

The drinks lady will come round to take your drinks order.

Barrett Tan’s laksa - The coffee shop is located in the Bormill area behind Jln Keretapi.

Best Belacan Bee Hoon at the foodcourt beside the Song Kheng Hai sport ground, behind the old row of shophouses of Jalan Padungan (5-7 minutes' walk from Hilton to Everrise Supermarket of Jalan Padungan,

Another place is

Belacan Bee Hoon is the "canteen" behind the Chung Hua Primary School No. 3 further up Jalan Padungan, and is a long walk, again also operate in the afternoon "high tea" hour. The candol here is fantastic

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

If you're in the Damai area, try the seafood restaurants in nearby Buntal fishing village. You need to take a cab from the hotels i.e. Damai Puri, Damai Beach Resort etc. as it is quite a distance. There are at least 4 restaurants, i.e. the Palm Beach Seafood, Lim Hock Ann Seafood, and Teo Seafood and another name I cant remember. All are equally good, and are located by the seaside. Go in the late evening after 6pm when the heat subsides.

If you're in city centre, a good place to get seafood is the Permata seafood centre, where locals and tourists congregate. Its within walking distance from Hilton, Holiday Inn and Harbour View and Somerset Gateway. Ask the hotel doorman for direction.

esor, you really did your research eh! and playing havoc with my dieting schedule! ;)

Cheers!

Laksarawak.

Montreux...
Level Contributor
229 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Hi and thank you all for the good tips. I think I won't starve while in Kuching...

Bye. Good Summer!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

LOL :-)

Laksa - you choose, we eat - my treat come December.

cheers

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

I've just returned home from Kuching and I'm already missing the food!

One note:

Hong Kong Noodle

Wisma Saberkas Shopping Center 3rd or 4th floor

Wisma Serberkas is looking pretty run down these days as in HK Noodle, and is a bit of a trek to get to. I noticed a new outlet of Hong Kong noodle on Jalan Padungan, right in downtown Kuching.

For more Hawker food, head to Jalan Song shopping center, a bit out of town. There's a huge range of hawker food stalls as well as a good air/con noodle restaurant and an outdoor seafood restaurant.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

check out this guy posting on Kuching food: -

kennysia.com

hapi eating/feasting

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Hi Bella,

Agree with you totally, Hong Kong Noodle House in Wisma Saberkas has seen better days. It used to be THE place to go for breakfast/lunch/dinner in Kuching in the 80s and 90s. But the mushrooming of more and more eateries in town in recent years had its management opening another outlet in Padungan Road, with mixed result.

Did you visit the Spring and the Boulevard Mall, the two new shopping complexes that boast many eateries as well although in sanitized air-conditioned ambience and thus not representative of Kuching, but nevertheless, quite enjoyable.

Esor! Remind me to show you the way to these two gastronomical outlets.

Cheers.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Laksa - for good food, I will walk over broken glass.

cheers

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Laksasarawak, glad you agree that Seberkas is really not worth a visit anymore.

I did get the chance to see The Spring as it's practically next door to my grandmother's house. Impressed by the quality of stores, though I wished they'd incorporated some windows into the design of the building- it looks like a big cement block from the road. Food court was not the greatest either.

How does the Boulevard compare?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for good Restaurants in Kuching and Damai Beach aera ?

Hi Bella,

You didnt visit the Boulevard?

The food court at Boulevard has more or less the same variety as the Spring, with a numbers of ethnic food like Korean, Indian etc, again in aircon comfort of course. Somehow eating laksa, or curry rice or claypot dish without sweating and nose dripping is no fun, right?

However this mall (the Boulevard) also house some nice franchise food outlets like those of KL's malls, like the Manhattan Fish Market, Rasa Mee, Ipoh Kopitiam, etc. A bit pricey,e.g. a meal for two at the Manhattan can burn a RM60 hole in your pocket. You wouldnt want to leave a morsel on your plate!

Living next door to a mall is actually cool, sometimes I wish I had my house next to one, that way, I save petrol when I need to buy some onion and can hop over in my boxer and singlet, or pajama at nite!

Cheers!